This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Relationship between Plasma Jet and Newly Developed Plasma Jet Igniter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In plasma jet ignition, combustion enhancement effects are caused toward the plasma jet issuing direction. Therefore, when the igniter is attached at the center of cylindrically shaped combustion chamber, the plasma jet should issues toward the round combustion chamber wall. The plasma jet igniter that had a concentric circular orifice has been developed. It is expected that the plasma jet is issued and is diffused from concentric circular orifice toward the combustion chamber wall. Relationship between plasma jet and igniter configuration was experimentally clarified. Plasma jet can issue from the entire concentric circular orifice for some igniter. Plasma jet is extended with increasing concentric circular orifice area. Plasma jet penetration increases with increasing concentric circular orifice width.
CitationTanaka, K., Yoshida, K., Shoji, H., and Tanaka, H., "Relationship between Plasma Jet and Newly Developed Plasma Jet Igniter," SAE Technical Paper 982564, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982564.
- Gupta, H. C., Steinberger, R. L. and Bracco, F. V., “Combustion in a Divided Chamber, Stratified Charge, Reciprocating Engine: Initial Comparisons of Calculated and Measured Flame Propagation”, Combustion Science and Technology, Vol.22, pp.27-61, 1980
- Cattolica, R. and Vosen, S., “Combustion-Torch Ignition: Fluorescence Imaging of OH Concentration”, Combustion and Flame, 68, pp.267-281, 1987
- Oppenheim, A. K., Beltramo, J., Faris, D. W., Maxson, J. A., Hom, K. and Stewart, H. E., “Combustion by Pulsed Jet Plums - Key to Controlled Combustion Engines”, SAE Paper 890153, 1989
- Rao Mittinti, D. N. and Dabora, E. K., “Plasma Jet Ignition Studies”, Twentieth Symposium (International) on Combustion, pp.169-177, 1984
- Clements, R. M., Smy, P. R. and Dale, J. D., “An Experimental Study of the Ejection Mechanism for Typical Plasma Jet Igniters”, Combustion and Flame, 42, pp.287-295, 1981
- Cavolowsky, J. A., Fairs, D. W. and Oppenheim, A. K., “Formation of a Plasma Puff”, SAE Paper 870609, 1987
- Clements, R. M., Smy, P. R., Topham, D., Vince, I. M., Vovelle, C. and Weinberg, F. J., “Chemical Activity and Transport Processes in the Vicinity of a Plasma Jet Igniter”, Combustion and Flame, 57, pp.265-274, 1984
- Yoshida, K. and Saima, A., “Influence of Electrical Supplied Energy and Characteristic Length on the Plasma Jet Ignition”, SAE Paper 932750, 1993
- Yoshida, K., Shoji, H. and Saima, A., “Influence of the Characteristic Length on Performance of Plasma Jet Igniters”, SAE Paper 942051, 1994
- Takagi, K., Ohta, M., Yoshida, K., Shoji, H. and Saima, A., “The Influence of the Hot Gas Jet on the Initial Flame Propagation in Plasma Jet Ignition”, Proceedings of The First Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, pp.480-483, 1997
- Wiriyawit, S. and Dabora, E. K., “Modeling the Chemical Effects of Plasma Jet Ignition in One-Dimensional Chamber”, Twentieth Symposium (International) on Combustion, pp.179-186, 1984
- Cetegen, B., Teichman, K. Y., Weinberg, F. J. and Oppenheim, A. K., “Performance of a Plasma Jet Igniter”, SAE Paper 800042, 1980
- Solomon, A. S., “Plasma-Jet Ignition of Fuel Sprays in a Rapid Compression Machine”, SAE Paper 880205, 1988