This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Diagnostics Using Laser Induced Fluorescence Signals Collected Through an Endoscopic Detection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper an alternative method for collecting laser induced fluorescence (LIF) signals from engines with limited optical access is presented. An endoscopic detection system has been used for LIF visualisation of both gaseous and liquid fluids in a DISI-engine. The use of an endoscope made it possible to monitor parts of the combustion chamber that could not be accessed through the piston with conventional optics.
Brief investigations of the signal collection efficiency have been performed on the endoscopic system as well as on a system based upon conventional optics.
The technique shows promising results and the use of endoscopic detection systems should be considered as a complement to using advance design quarts piston crowns for conventional detection through the piston.
CitationRichter, M., Axelsson, B., and Aldén, M., "Engine Diagnostics Using Laser Induced Fluorescence Signals Collected Through an Endoscopic Detection System," SAE Technical Paper 982465, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982465.
- Eckbreth A. C. Laser diagnostics for combustion temperature and species 2nd 90-5699-532-4 Gordon and Breach Science Publishers SA Amsterdam 1996
- Baritaud T. A. Heinze T. A. “Gasoline Distribution Measurements with PLIF in a SI Engine” S.A.E. paper 922355 1992
- Neij H. Johansson B. Aldén M. “Development of 2D-LIF for Studies of Mixture Preparation in SI Engines” Combustion and Flame 99 449 457 1994
- Wolff D. Schlüter H. Beushausen V. Andresen P. “Quantitative Determination of Fuel Air Mixture Distributions in an Internal Combustion Engine using PLIF of Acetone” Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 97 12 1738 1741 1993
- Hansson R. K. “Combustion diagnostics: Planar imaging techniques” Twenty-first Symposium on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1677 1691 1986
- Neij H. Johansson B. Aldén M. “Development and Demonstration of 2D-LIF for Studies of Mixture Preparation in SI Engines” Combustion and Flame 99 449457 1994
- Lee J. G. Santavicca D. A. “Fiber-Optic Probe for Laser-Induced Fluorescence Measurements of the Fuel-Air Distribution in Gas-Turbine Combustors” Journal of Propulsion and Power 13 3 384 387 1998
- Werlberger P. Rokita R. Chmela F. “Observation of Fuel Injection and Combustion by Use of an Endoscopic Video System” Proceedings of IMechE Seminar on Measurement and Observation Analysis of Combustion in Engines London Mechanical Engineering Publications 39 56 22 Mars 1994
- Felton P. G. Kyritsis D. C. Fulcher S. K. “LIF Visualisation of Liquid Fuel in the Intake Manifold During Cold Start” SAE paper 952464 1995
- Haneishi H. Yagihashi Y. Miyake Y. “A New Method for Distortion Correction of Electronic Endoscope Images” IEEE Trans. Med. Imag. 14 548 555 1995