This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Force Response Characteristics of Square Columns for Selected Materials at Impact Loading Conditions Based on FEA
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The crush behaviors of hollow square columns made of 45 different materials with emphasis on aluminum alloys and at two impact energy levels were simulated with FEA software DYNA3D. The force response curves based on the FEA simulation results were studied. Analysis of variance, cluster analysis, and principal component (PC) analysis were employed to analyze the data with SAS programs. The regression equations for calculating the peak force and time duration are given. The significance of the material properties and the impact energy levels to the peak force and the time duration are discussed. Finally, a procedure to predict the force response characteristics for a new material was suggested based on the current established database.
CitationPan, X., Ziejewski, M., and Goettler, H., "Force Response Characteristics of Square Columns for Selected Materials at Impact Loading Conditions Based on FEA," SAE Technical Paper 982418, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982418.
- Anderson, B. A., “Method to Predict the Rate of Energy Absorption of a Structural Member.” M.S. thesis, North Dakota State University, Fargo, 1996.
- Ziejewski, M., Anderson, B.A., “The Effect of Structural Stiffness on Occupant Response for a -Gx Acceleration.” SAE 962374, Warrendale, PA.
- Abramowicz, W., Jones, N., “Dynamic Progressive Buckling of Circular and Square Tubes.” International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 4, pp. 243-273, 1986.
- Ni, C. M., “Crush Strength Analysis of Light Weight Vehicle Frame Components.” SAE 810232, Warrendale, PA.
- Song, Y., Simitses, G. J., “Elastoviscoplastic Buckling Behavior of Simply Supported Columns.” AIAA Journal, Vol. 30, No. 1, January 1992.
- Wierzbicki, T., Abromowicz, W., “On the Crushing Mechanics of Thin-walled Structures.” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 50, pp. 727-734, Dec. 1983.
- Mahmood, H.F., Paluszny, A., Tang, X., “Crash Analysis of Thin Walled Beam-type Structures.” SAE 880894, Warrendale, PA.
- Pugsley, A., Macaulay, M., “The large-scale crumpling of thin cylindrical columns.” Quarter Journal of Mechanical and Applied Mathematics, Vol. XII, pt. 1, 1960.
- Alexander, J.M., “An Approximate Analysis of the Collapse of Thin Cylindrical Shell under Axial Loading.” Quarter Journal of Mechanical and Applied Mathematics, Vol. XIII, pt. 1, 1960.
- Birch, S., “Aluminum Space Frame Technology.” Automotive Engineering, pp.70-73, January 1994.
- McGreger, I.J., Seeds, A.D., Nardini, D., “The Design of Impact Absorbing Members for Aluminum Structured Vehicles.” SAE 900796, Warrendale, PA.
- Schmueser, D.W., Wickliffe, L.E., Mase, G.T., “Front Impact Evaluation of Primary Structural Components of a Composite Space Frame.” SAE 880890, Warrendale, PA.
- Biggers, S. B., Srinivasan, S., “Compression Buckling Response of Tailored Rectangular Composite Plates.” AIAA Journal, Vol. 31, No. 3, March 1993.
- Farley, G. L., “Energy Absorption of Composite Materials.” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 17, May 1983.
- Mahmood, H. F., Zhou, J.H., Lee, M.S., “Axial Strength and Modes of Collapse of Composite Components.” SAE 880891, Warrendale, PA.
- Mahmood, H.F., Zhou, J., “Effect of Interlaminar Stress on Crush Behavior of Composite Structure.” SAE 921095, Warrendale, PA.
- Tsao, D., Duan, D., Ji, W., “Delamination Fracture Analysis of Composite Laminates Caused by Local Buckling and Postbuckling.” SAE 911986, Warrendale, PA.
- Harper, J. G., Palazotto, A.N., “Buckling Analysis of Laminated Composite Circular Cylindrical Shells.” SAE 790981, Warrendale, PA.
- Abramowicz, W., Wierzbicki, T., “Axial Crushing of Multicorner Sheet Metal Columns.” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 56, pp. 113-120, March 1989.
- Grimm, T.R., Minarecioglu, S.E., Viegelahn, G.L., “Crush Characteristics of Thin-walled Cylindrical Tubing.” SAE 880901, Warrendale, PA.
- Mamalis, A. G., Manolakos, D. E., Saigal, S., Viegelahn, G., Johnson, W., “Extensible Plastic Collapse of Thin-wall Frusta as Energy Absorbers.” International Journal of Mechanical Science, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 219-229, 1986.
- McNay, G.H., “Numerical Modeling of Tube Crush with Experimental Comparison.” SAE 880898, Warrendale, PA.
- Barone, M.R., “Modeling and Computational Techniques in Automotive Structures.” Computational Methods on Ground Transportation Vehicles, ASME Winter Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 1982.
- Baughn, T.V., Zecher, J.E., “Computational Methods in Design Analysis of Motor Trucks.” Computational Methods in Ground Transportation Vehicles, ASME Winter Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 1982.
- Benson, D.J., Hallquist, J.O., Stillman, D.W., “Dyna3d, Ingrid and Taurus - An Integrated Interactive Software System for Crashworthiness Engineering.” Proceedings of the 1985 ASME International Computers in Engineering Conference, Boston, MA, August 1985.
- McIvor, I.K., Anderson, W.J., “Dynamic Validation of a Computer Simulation for Vehicle Crash.” SAE 770591, Warrendale, PA.
- Hay, J.K., Blew, J.M., “Dynamic Testing and Computer Analysis of Automotive Frames.” SAE 720046, Warrendale, PA.
- Metals Handbook. 10th ed. Vol. 2, ASM, Materials Park, OH.
- Hallquist, J.O., Stillman, D.W., Lin, T., “LS-DYNA3D User's Manual - Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis of Structures in Three Dimensions.” Livermore Software Technology Corp., Livermore, CA, 1994.
- Mahmood, H.F., Paluszny, A., “Design of Thin Walled Columns for Crash Energy Management - Their Strength and Mode of Collapse.” SAE 811302, Warrendale, PA.
- SAS, User's Guide: Statistics. 1982 edition, pp. 417, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Timm, N.H., Multivariate Analysis with Application in Education and Psychology, pp. 528, Brook/Cole Publishing Co., Monterey, CA, 1975.
- Johnson, R.A., Wichen, D.W., Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, Inc., Englewood, NJ, 1988.
- Ratkowsky, D.A., Handbook of Nonlinear Regression Models, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1990