This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reduction of Instrument Panel Manufacturing Cost by Using Design Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper highlights the application of design optimization in reducing product manufacturing cost without compromising product performance. By using a topology optimization method, the manufacturing cost of a clam shell has been reduced by approximately one-third, while maintaining the NVH performance of the steering column that is connected to the instrument panel (IP) through the clam shell. Two different optimization approaches and two different topological weld deployments are investigated. It is found that a fully-deployed seam weld approach with automatic optimization provides the best design results.
|Technical Paper||Optimal Instrument Panel Performance Through Closed Loop Finite Element Analysis to Test Correlation|
|Technical Paper||Designing Automotive Dash Panels with Laminated Metal|
|Technical Paper||Evolution of Structural Instrument Panels|
CitationChen, C., Usman, M., Bauer, D., and Thyagarajan, R., "Reduction of Instrument Panel Manufacturing Cost by Using Design Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 982370, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982370.
- Olhoff, N., Bendsoe, M. P. and Rasmussen, J. “On CAD-integrated structural topology and design optimization,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 89, pp. 259-279, 1991.
- Chen, C. J., Shashi, M., and Usman, M., “Improve fuel tank design using Optimization,” ASME McNU97' Design Optimization with Applications in Industry Symposium, Chicago, IL, July, 1997.
- Chen, C. J., Magadi, J. and Usman, M. “Upfront design of the air cleaner bracket using topology optimization,” Engineering Foundation: Optimization in Industry Conference, Palm Coast, FL, March 23-27, 1997.
- Soto, C. A., “Structural topology optimization for tactile response improvement in the automotive industry,” ASME McNU97' Design Optimization with Applications in Industry Symposium, Chicago, IL, July, 1997.
- Yang, R. J. and Chahande, A. I. “Automotive application of topology optimization,” Structural optimization, Vol. 9, pp. 246-249, 1995.
- Kirsch, U., “Optimal topologies of structures,” Applied Mechanics Reviews., Vol. 42, pp. 223-239, 1989.
- Bendsoe, M. E., Ben-Tal, A., and Zowe, J., “Optimization methods for truss geometry and topology design,” Structural Optimization, Vol. 7, pp. 141-159, 1994.
- Rozvany, G. I. N., Bendsoe, M. P., and Kirsch, U., “Layout Optimization of structures,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 41-119, 1995.
- Bendsoe, M. P. and Kikuchi, N., “Generating optimal topologies in structural design using a homogenization method,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 71, pp. 197-224, 1988.
- Bendsoe, M. P., “Optimal shape design as a material distribution problem,” Structural Optimization, Vol. 1, pp. 193-202, 1989.
- Diaz, A. R. and Bendsoe, M. P., “Solutions to shape and topology eigenvalue optimization problems using a homogenization method,” International journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 35, pp. 1478-1502, 1992.
- Mlejnek, H. P., Schirrmacher, R., “An Engineering approach to optimal material distribution and shape finding,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 106, pp. 1-26, 1993.
- Yang, R. J. and Chuang, C. H., “Optimal topology design using linear programming,” Computer & Structure, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 265-275, 1994.
- Yang, R. J. and Chen, C. J., “Stress-based topology optimization,” Structural Optimization, Vol. 12, pp. 98-105, 1996.
- Yang, R. J., Rui, Y., Mohammad, A., and Singh, G., “Spot weld/adhesive pattern optimization,” ASME 22nd Design Automation Conference, Irvine, CA, Aug. 18-22, 1996.
- Rui, Y., Yang, R. J., Chen, C. J., and Agrawal, H., “Fatigue optimization of spot welds,” IBEC Conferences Body Design and Engineering, Detroit, MI, Aug., 1996.
- Jiang, T., and Chirehdast, M., “A system approach to structural topology optimization: designing optimal connections,” ASME 22nd Design Automation Conference, Irvine, CA, Aug. 18-22, 1996.
- Haug, E. J., Choi, K. K., and Komkov, V., “Design Sensitivity Analysis of Structural Systems”, Academic Press, New York, 1986.