This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Practical Life Cycle Assessment Methodology for a Whole Automobile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As global awareness of environmental concerns associated with automobiles has grown significantly, Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) has emerged as one of the analytical tools to provide environmental information on automobiles throughout their life cycles. In order to be most efficient in terms of both environmental performance and cost saving, it is necessary to perform LCA studies within a short period of time in the automobile design stage. However, since an automobile consists of a great number of components, a full LCA of an automobile takes too much time and expense.
The purpose of this paper is to introduce a practical, systematic LCA methodology for a whole automobile, with which a time and cost effective calculation can be ensured for a highly complex system. First of all, the entire automobile is divided into several modules, each of which is composed of 10-20 submodules. In this process, the concepts of part modularization and platform commonization are incorporated. The life cycle inventory for a whole automobile is obtained based on the ecological data of modules and submodules by using a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches.
|Technical Paper||Life Cycle Analysis of a Complex Product, Application of ISO 14040 to a Complete Car|
|Technical Paper||Car Life Cycle Inventory Assessment|
|Technical Paper||Application of Life Cycle Assessment Methodology for Comparative LADA Automobiles|
CitationHa, J., Min, S., Hur, T., and Kim, S., "Practical Life Cycle Assessment Methodology for a Whole Automobile," SAE Technical Paper 982188, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982188.
- Curran M. A., Environmental Life Cycle Assessment, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1996.
- Fiksel J., Design for Environment, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1996.
- International Standard Organization, Life Cycle Assessment - Principles and framework, ISO 14040, 1997.
- International Standard Organization, Life Cycle Assessment - Goal and scope definition and inventory analysis, ISO/FDIS 14041, 1998.
- Kaniut C., Cetiner H., and Franzeck J., Proceedings of the 1997 Total Life Cycle Conference Life Cycle Management and Assessment (part 1), Society of Automobile Engineers, Inc., 55 (1997).
- Saur K., Eyerer P., and Hesselbach J., Proceedings of the 1997 Total Life Cycle Conference Design for the Environment, Recycling and Environmental Impact (part 2), Society of Automobile Engineers, Inc., 1 (1997).
- Keoleian G. A., Kar K., Manion M. M., and Bulkley J. W., Industrial Ecology for the Automobile: A Life Cycle Perspective, Society of Automobile Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, 1997.
- Almemark M., Uscarsson C., Spännar Camilla and Lindfors L.-G., Manual for calculating Type III ecoprofiles, Swedish Environmental Research Institute, 1997.