This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Life Cycle Assessment and Innovation in the Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many industrial applications have been proposed for cradle-to-grave assessment of the environmental burdens of products, including technology design and optimization, technology strategy, marketing and in lobbying regulators. Many industrial firms, including all European automobile producers, have developed life cycle assessment competences during the 1990s, and many have begun applying these to business decisions. In this paper the patterns of adoption of life cycle approaches in car producers are analyzed, together with their impacts on innovation. The paper concludes that while life cycle assessment provides a useful new framework for problem-solving, car producers will face a number of difficulties in extracting value from life cycle-based innovations.
CitationBerkhout, F., "Life Cycle Assessment and Innovation in the Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 982178, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982178.
- Berkhout, F Howes, R. 1997 The adoption of life-cycle approaches by industry: patterns and impacts Resources, Conservation and Recycling 20 71 94
- Dosi, G. 1988 The nature of the innovative process Technical Change and Economic Theory Dosi G. et al. Pinter London 221 238
- Utterback, J. Abernathy, W. 1975 A dynamic model of process and product innovation Omega 3
- Pavitt, K. 1984 Sectoral patterns of technical change: towards a taxonomy and a theory Research Policy 13 343 373
- Walley, N. Whitehead, B. 1994 It's not easy being green Harvard Business Review May-Jun 46 52
- Klüppel, H-J et al. 1995 Life-cycle assessment of palm alcohol sulfate INFORM 6 647 657
- Neumann, U. Franze, H.A. 1996 BMW Status on LCA in the Automotive Industry International Workshop on Life Cycle Approaches Brussels 21-22 October
- Franze, H.A. Neumann, U. Vornberger, K. Hoock, R. Hemberger, R. 1995 ATZ Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 97 9 570 585