This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LCI Modeling Challenges and Solutions for a Complex Product System: A Mid-Sized Automobile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
While the results are generally the most exciting aspects of an LCI study, the details of the LCI model that generates the results are equally significant; particularly when modeling the life cycle of an automobile. The modeling challenges faced in conducting the US AMP LCI of a mid-sized vehicle based on the 1995 Lumina, Intrepid and Taurus are highlighted. The number of parts (over 20,000), supply chain complexity, materials composition, and the demanding set of OEM requirements for model features required special LCI methods and solutions. The LCI model and selected results are compared with previous studies, and recommendations for improvements in the USAMP LCI model are also provided.
This paper is one of six SAE publications discussing the results and execution of the USCAR AMP Generic Vehicle LCI. The papers in this series are (Overview of results 982160, 982161, 982162, 982168, 982169, 982170).
CitationKeoleian, G., Lewis, G., Coulon, R., Camobreco, V. et al., "LCI Modeling Challenges and Solutions for a Complex Product System: A Mid-Sized Automobile," SAE Technical Paper 982169, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982169.
- Curran, MA 1996 Environmental Life-Cycle Assessment McGraw-Hill New York A.1 A.16
- Keoleian, GA Kar, K Manion, MM Bulkley, JW 1997 Industrial Ecology of the Automobile: A Life Cycle Perspective SAE International Warrendale, PA, USA 159
- Ross, M Goodwin, R Watkins, R Wang, MQ Wenzel, T 1995 Real-World Emissions from Model Year 1993, 2000 and 2010 Passenger Cars Washington, DC: American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy Washington DC
- Sullivan, JL Costic, MM Han, W 1998 Design and Manufacture for the Environment SP-1342, SAE International Warrendale, PA, USA SAE Paper No. 980467 93 110
- General Motors 1996 Environmental Health & Safety Report and GM production data www.gm.com
- Schuckert, M Saur, K Florin, H Eyerer, P 1995 Proceedings of the Total Life Cycle Conference SAE International Warrendale: PA, USA SAE Paper No. 951836
- SAE Sullivan, JL Hu, J 1995 Proceedings of the Total Life Cycle Conference SAE International Warrendale: PA, USA SAE Paper No. 951829
- American Automobile Manufacturers Association 1995 Motor Vehicles Facts & Figures AAMA Washington, D.C. 55