This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preventive Optimisation of Costs and Quality for the Total Life Cycle - Design for Manufacture, Assembly, Service, Environment (DFMA)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The increased global competition has led to immense interest in the development of new ways of increasing productivity and quality. It is a well known fact that the costs of manufactured products are largely determined at the design stage. It is important to consider manufacturability early in the design. To be able to cut life cycle costs at an early stage the following DFMA-tools have been developed: Design for Manufacture (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design for Service (DFS) and Design for Environment (DFE).
This contribution shows the design for the complete life cycle - with the tools DFM, DFA, DFS, DFE - its present state and some industrial applications. Using an electronic company as an example the implementation of DFMA in an TQM-environment and their integration in the product development process is shown. The value-assessment metric ‘Materials, Energy, Toxicity (MET)’ is also described.
|Technical Paper||Life Cycle Assessment: A Tool for Improvement in Car Design|
|Technical Paper||The Value Engineering Equation and the Auto Industry - A Definition of ‘Cost’|
|Aerospace Standard||THE FMECA PROCESS IN THE CONCURRENT ENGINEERING (CE) ENVIRONMENT|
CitationSchmidt, S., "Preventive Optimisation of Costs and Quality for the Total Life Cycle - Design for Manufacture, Assembly, Service, Environment (DFMA)," SAE Technical Paper 982166, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982166.
- Schmidt, Stefan Frankfurt 30th October 1995
- Schmidt, Stefan Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DFMA) BMW Management-Brief 20 Munich September 1995
- Schmidt, Stefan Automobil-Entwicklung 96 Landsberg November 1995
- Becker, Volker Schmidt, Stefan 387 390 Munich April 1996
- Schmidt, Stefan Design for Manufacture and Assembly 1 32 Düsseldorf March 4th to 6th 1997
- Schmidt, Stefan DFMA - Design for Manufacture and Assembly 1 16 Augsburg May 1997 1998
- Schmidt Stefan trade conferences 4th R & D management forum '97 1 32 Mainz March 11th to 13th 1997
- Grasmeier, Herbert DfMA-Forum 1 24 Heidelberg June 23rd to 25th 1998
- Gattiker, Ernst DfMA-Forum 1 18 Heidelberg June 23rd to 25th 1998
- Pfammatter, Josef T. DfMA-Forum Heidelberg June 23rd to 25th 1998