This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Worldwide Harmonization of Exhaust Emission Test Procedures for Nonroad Engines Based on the International Standard ISO 8178
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 14, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An international standard for nonroad engines has been developed that comprises gaseous and particulate emissions measurement procedures, smoke testing, test cycles, and an engine family and group concept. Through a joint effort of industry and government agencies, ISO 8178 has become the basis for emissions legislation in the USA, the European Union and Japan and of the International Maritime Organization. The ultimate goal of worldwide harmonization for the worldwide engine industry has been reached, but much effort is still needed to maintain the level of harmonization achieved today.
The validity of ISO 8178 has been demonstrated on a round robin test with three engines of 19 to 170 kW circulated around 28 test laboratories. Test-to-test repeatability was generally lower than 10 %. Lab-to-lab variability was less than 10 % for NOx and particulates, and over 25 % for HC and CO. The equivalence of partial flow and full flow dilution systems for particulates has been proven.
|Technical Paper||An ISO 8178 Correlation Study Between Raw and Dilute Exhaust Emission Sampling Systems|
|Journal Article||An Investigation into Cold Start Emissions from Compression Ignition Engines using EU Legislative Emissions Test Procedures|
CitationStein, H. and Herdan, T., "Worldwide Harmonization of Exhaust Emission Test Procedures for Nonroad Engines Based on the International Standard ISO 8178," SAE Technical Paper 982043, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982043.
- Council Directive 77/537/EEC on the Approximation of the Laws of the Member States Relating to the Measures To Be Taken Against the Emission of Pollutants from Diesel Engines for Use in Agricultural and Forestry Tractors 1977
- Code of Federal Regulations Emission Regulations for New Gasoline-Fueled and Diesel Heavy-Duty Engines; Gaseous Exhaust Test Procedure 1979
- Council Directive 91/542/EEC on the Approximation of the Laws of the Member States Relating to the Measures To Be Taken Against the Emission of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants from Diesel Engines for Use in Vehicles 1991
- Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines - Determination and Method for the Measurement of Engine Power 1996
- Cornetti G.M. Klein K. Fraenkle G.J. Stein H.J. US Transient Versus ECE R 49 13-Mode Cycle SAE Paper 880715 1988
- Treiber P.J.H. Exhaust Emission Testing of Diesel Engines for Industrial Applications - A Contribution to the Discussion of Adequate Test Cycles XXIII FISITA Congress, Paper No. 905131 Torino 1990
- Treiber P.J.H. Sauerteig J.E. Present and Future European Exhaust Emission Regulations for Off-Road Diesel Engines SAE Paper 911808 1991
- ECE Regulation No. 49 Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Compression-Ignition Engines and Vehicles Equipped with Compression-Ignition Engines With Regard to the Emissions of Pollutants by the Engine 1992
- Code of Federal Regulations Emission Regulations for New Otto-Cycle and Diesel Heavy-Duty Engines; Gaseous and Particulate Exhaust Test Procedures 1984
- Code of Federal Regulations General Provisions for Emission Regulations for 1977 and Later Model Year New Light-Duty Vehicles, Light-Duty Trucks and Heavy-Duty Engines 1984
- Regulation 13 of Annex VI of MARPOL 73/78 Technical Code on Control of Emission of Nitrogen Oxides from Marine Diesel Engines 1997
- Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine Driven Alternating Current Generating Sets Part 5: Generating Sets 1993
- SAE J1667 Snap-Acceleration Smoke Test Procedure for Heavy-Duty Diesel Powered Vehicles 1996
- Bastenhof D. Exhaust Gas Emission Measurements - A Contribution to a Realistic Approach XXI CIMAC Congress Interlaken 1995
- Stein H.J. Ekermo A.I. Treiber P.J.H. Emissions Correlation of Heavy-Duty Transient Test Facilities SAE Paper 892492 1989
- California Code of Regulations Regulations and Test Procedures for 1996and Later Model Year Heavy-Duty Off-Road Equipment Engines 1996
- Code of Federal Regulations Control of Emissions from New and In-Use Compression-Ignition Nonroad Engines; Exhaust Emission Test Procedure 1997
- ECE Regulation No. 96 Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Compression-Ignition Engines to Be Installed in Agricultural and Forestry Tractors With Regard to the Emission of Pollutants by the Engine 1996
- Directive 97/68/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Approximation of the Laws of the Member States Relating to Measures Against the Emission of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants from Internal Combustion Engines To Be Installed in Non-Road Mobile Machinery 1997
- Japanese MOC Guideline Procedure of Designating Low Exhaust Emission Diesel Engines and of Recognizing Construction Equipment Powered by Low Exhaust Emission Diesel Engines 1995
- Central Environment Council Future Policy for Motor Vehicle Exhaust Emission Reduction (2nd Report for the Inquiry No. 31, 1996), Section 3: Exhaust Emission Reduction Measures for Off-Road Vehicles 1997