This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Anthropometric Evaluation for Ergonomic Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 02, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The majority of aerospace products currently being produced were created using computer-aided design systems. In conjunction with these design tools, some manufacturers are also using computer-driven human models to determine the ergonomic characteristics of their designs. While these human modeling systems are effective at determining a variety of ergonomic parameters they are somewhat costly to purchase and use and are limited by their modeling assumptions. This paper will present a low cost alternative to computer-driven human modeling which may provide utility to manufacturers in determining their products' ergonomic characteristics. This alternative is the establishment and use of a pool of knowledgeable anthropometric test subjects for the evaluation of products.
CitationHunn, B., "Anthropometric Evaluation for Ergonomic Design," SAE Technical Paper 981862, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981862.
- Cheverud, J. Gordon, C.C. Walker, R.A. Jacquish, C. Kohn, L. Moore, A. Yamashita, N. 1990 1988 Anthropometric survey of U.S. Army personnel: Correlation coefficients and regression equations Tech. Report Natick/TR-90/033 to 036 Natick, MA U.S. Army Natick Research, Development and Engineering Center
- Galaxy Scientific Corporation. 1992 Human Factors Issues in Aircraft Maintenance and Inspection “Science, Technology, and Management: A Program Review” Biomedical and Behavioral Sciences Branch, Office of Aviation Medicine, Federal Aviation Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation Washington, D.C.
- Meister, D. 1985 Behavioral Analysis and Measurement Methods John Wiley & Sons New York, New York 0-471-89640-3
- Roebuck, J.A. 1995 Anthropometric Methods: Designing to Fit the Human Body Monographs in Human Factors and Ergonomics Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Santa Monica. CA 0-945289-01-4
- Rodgers, S. H. 1986 Ergonomic Design for People at Work Eastman Kodak Co. Van Nostrand Reinhold New York 0-442-22103-7
- Wiener, E.L. Nagel, D.C. 1988 Human Factors in Aviation Academic Press San Diego, CA 0-12-750031-6