This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HUYGENS Probe: Thermal Design, Test, Flight Comparison, and Descent Prediction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 13, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study of the first in-orbit temperatures of Huygens shows that the probe will very likely survive thermally all vacuum cruise and coast phases. Calculated heat fluxes, mass flows of Titan's atmosphere into and out of the probe and temperatures give confidence also for the mission phase proper in 2004 i.e. the 2.5 h descent into Titan's -2OO°C atmosphere.
Basotect foam bags insulate the probe from this atmosphere. These bags and their fixation had drastically to be modified between Titan test on STPM (May 95) and on FM (June 96). The mission phases, thermal requirements, thermal design, tests with the probe, special tests for the foam bag development and their modification are presented.
|Technical Paper||Development of HUYGENS Thermal Control Concept|
|Technical Paper||Analysis and Certification of the Starship All-Composite Airframe|
|Technical Paper||Thermal Analysis of Textile Structures in Automotive Applications|
CitationCluzet, G., Doenecke, J., Vollmer, K., and Patti, B., "HUYGENS Probe: Thermal Design, Test, Flight Comparison, and Descent Prediction," SAE Technical Paper 981644, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981644.
- Cluzet G. HUYGENS: Thermal Control Subsystem Specification Nov. 1994
- Tsuyuki G. T. Stultz J.W. A summary of the Cassini Thermal Development Test Program SAE Paper 991576 July 1996
- Doenecke J. Development of Huygens Thermal Control Concept SAE Paper 921327 July 1992
- Elsner M. Thermal Analyses Status of the Huygens Mission to Titan SAE Paper July 1993
- Doenecke J. Elsner M. Special Heat Transfer Problems within the Huygens Probe Dec. 1991
- Doenecke J. Survey and Evaluation of Multilayer Insulation Heat Transfer Measurements SAE Paper 932117 July 1993
- Lin E.I. Stultz J.W. Reeve R.T. Test-Derived Effective Emittance for Cassini MLI Blankets and Heat Loss Characteristics in the Vicinity of Seams AIAA Paper 95-2015 June 1995
- Wilkes K.E. Onset of Natural Convection in a Horizontal Porous Medium with Mixed Thermal Boundary Conditions Journal of Heat Transfer 117 543 547 May 1995