This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Membrane-Based Bioprocessor for Life Support Wastewater Reclamation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 13, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Although bioprocessors have been successfully tested in ground test experiments as primary wastewater processors [1, 2 and 3], the transition required for operation of a bioprocessor in microgravity is complicated by the absence of gravity and buoyancy-driven convection. Gases are present in the wastewater bioprocessor from numerous sources including aeration, metabolic production and operation. This paper presents an innovative approach to the delivery of metabolically-required oxygen to a bioprocessor. A bioprocessor that provides oxygen delivery and bacterial support using membranes has been developed and tested during the past two years. Bench-top laboratory results have demonstrated that Total Organic Carbon (TOC) degradation above 95%, and nitrification above 80% can be maintained, while denitrification typically ranged between 5-25% in a membrane bioprocessor system (MBS). Based on the bench-top MBS testing, a scaled membrane biological wastewater processor (MBWP) was designed, fabricated, and delivered to NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC). Currently, a comprehensive solution for a microgravity-compatible bioprocessor is being pursued which can meet performance requirements and address all phase management issues.
|Technical Paper||Development and Testing of Membrane Biological Wastewater Processors|
|Technical Paper||An Optimum Biological Reactor Configuration for Water Recycling in Space|
CitationSupra, L., Reddig, M., Finger, B., Zhou, S. et al., "Membrane-Based Bioprocessor for Life Support Wastewater Reclamation," SAE Technical Paper 981611, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981611.
- Pickering, Karen Edeen Marybeth A. “Lunar-Mars Life Support Test Program Phase III Water Recovery System Operation and Results” SAE Paper 981707 28th International Conference on Environmental Systems Danvers MA July 13-16 1998
- Edeen, Marybeth A. Pickering Karen “Biological and Physical-Chemical Life Support Systems Integration-Results of the Lunar-Mars Life Support Phase III Test” SAE Paper 981708 28th International Conference on Environmental Systems Danvers MA July 13-16 1998
- Packham, N. Kloeris Vicki Lewis John Supra Laura N. “The Lunar-Mars Life Support Project Phase III 90-Day Test: The Crew Perspective” SAE Paper 981708 28th International Conference on Environmental Systems Danvers MA July 13-16 1998
- Hutchens, Cindy F. “A Comparison of U.S. and Russian Space Station Environmental Control and Life Support Systems” Marshall Space Flight Center
- Malina, Joseph F. Pohland Frederick G. “Design of Anaerobic Process for the Treatment of Industrial and Municipal Waste” Technomic Publishing Co. Lancaster, PA 1992
- Forster, C.F. John Wase D.A. “Environmental Biotechnology” Ellis Horwood Limited West Sussex, England 1987
- Tchobanoglous, G. Burton F.L. “Wastewater Engineering: Treatment, Disposal, and Reuse” Third Metcalf and Eddy New York 1991
- Lam, k.s. Mamber S.W. Pack E.j. Forenza S. Fernandes P.B. Klaus D.M. “The Effects of Space Flight on the production of Monorden by Humicola fuscoatra WC5157 in Solid-State Fermentation” Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 253
- Todd, Paul “Gravity-Dependent Phenomena at the Scale of the Single Cell” Amer. Soc. for Gravitational and Space Biology 2 August 1998 95 113
- Alpatov, A.M. Ilin YE.A. Antipov V.V Tairbekov M.G. “Biological Experiments on Kosmos-1887 Biosatellite” JPRS Report: Science and Technology USSR: Life Sciences 68 72
- Supra, L.N. Reddig M. Edeen M.A. Pickering K.D. Packham N.J.C. “Regenerative Water Recovery System Testing and Model Correlation” SAE Paper 972550 27th International Conference on Environmental Systems Lake Tahoe, NV July 1997
- Supra, L.N. Kumagai G.H. Landau L.M. Zinger E.F. McFadden C.D. Schweickart R. “Advancements in Regenerative Life Support Wastewater Bioprocessing Technology” SAE Paper 961572 26th International Conference on Environmental Systems Monterey, CA July 8-11 1996
- Edeen, M.A. Kumagai, G.H. Supra L.N. Landau L.M. Schweickart R.W. McFadden C.D. “Advances in Development of Bioreactor Technology for a Regenerative Life Support Primary Water Processor,” SAE Paper 951740 25th International Conference on Environmental Systems San Diego, CA July 10-13 1995
- Kumagai, G.H. Supra L.N. Landau L.M. Zinger E.F. St. Martin E.J. McFadden C.D. Edeen M.A. “Computer Modeling and Experimental Investigations of a Regenerative Life Support Wastewater Bioreactor” SAE Paper 951463 25th International Conference on Environmental Systems San Diego, CA July 10-13 1995
- Nacheff-Benedict, M.S. Kumagai G. Petrie G. Schweickart R. McFadden C. Edeen M.A. SAE Paper 941397 “An Integrated Approach to Bioreactor Technology Development for Regenerative Life Support Primary Water Processor” 24th International Conference on Environmental Systems Friedrichshafen, Germany June 20-23 1994