This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Weld Process Modeling and It's Importance in a Manufacturing Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An important emerging technical area is computer-based modeling of the various manufacturing processes that are used in many diverse industries. These models are used to optimize manufacturing techniques to reduce fabrication costs and improve the service performance. One manufacturing process important in steel fabrication is welding. It can be a useful tool to aid in reducing fabrication costs and service durability by optimizing the weld process and is the subject of this paper.
CitationBrust, F., Dong, P., Zhang, J., Cao, Z. et al., "Weld Process Modeling and It's Importance in a Manufacturing Environment," SAE Technical Paper 981510, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981510.
- Computer Modeling and Simulation in Engineering, Ed. Atluri S. N., Sage Science Press, Thousand Oaks California.
- Rodgers, D. E. and Fletcher, P. R., “The Determination of Internal Stresses from the Temperature History of a Butt Welded Pipe,” Welding Journal Research Supplement, 1938, pp. 4-7.
- Masubuchi, K., “Control of Distortion and Shrinkage in Welding,” Welding Research Council Bulletin No. 149, Apr. 1970.
- Kamichika, R., Yada, T., and Okamoto, A., “Internal Stresses in Thick Plates Weld-Overlaid with Austenitic Stainless Steel (Report 2),” Transactions of the Japan Welding Society, Vol. 5, No. 1, Apr. 1974.
- Friedman, E., “Thermomechanical Analysis of the Welding Process Using the Finite Element Method,” Trans. Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 97, Aug. 1975, pp. 206-213.
- Brust F. W. and Rybicki E. F., “Computational Model of Backlay Welding for Controlling Residual Stresses in Welded Pipes”, in Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Trans. ASME, Vol. 103, August, 1981, pp. 294-299.
- Brust F. W. and Kanninen M. F., “Analysis of Residual Stresses in Girth Welded Type 304-Stainless Pipes”, ASME Journal of Materials in Energy Systems, Vol. 3, No. 3, 1981.
- Brust F. W. and Stonesifer R. B., “Effects of Weld Parameters on Residual Stresses in BWR Piping Systems”, EPRI Final Report, NP-1743, March, 1981.
- Barber T. E., Brust F. W., Mishler H. W., and Kanninen M. F., “Controlling Residual Stresses by Heat Sink Welding”, EPRI Report NP-2159-LD, December 1981.
- McGuire P. A. and Groom J. J.,“Computational Analysis and Experimental Evaluation for Residual Stresses From Induction Heating”, final Report to EPRI (RP1394-4), Battelle Memorial Institute, Dec. 28, 1979.
- Fricke, S., Keim, E., and Schmidt, J., “Numeric Determination of Residual Weld Stresses”, to be presented at and appear in Proceedings of ICES'98, October 7 - 9, Atlanta, 1998.
- Goldak, J, et. al., “Progress and Pacing Trends in Computational Weld Mechanics”, to be presented at and appear in Proceedings of ICES'98, October 7 - 9, Atlanta, 1998.
- Yang, Y. Y., and Feng, Z., “Analysis of Welding Processes”, Proceedings of McNU '97, June 29-July 2, Northwestern University, 1997.
- Buchmayr, B., “PC-Based Software in Welding Technology”, In: Mathematical Modeling of Weld Phenomena, Ed. Cerjak H. and Easterling K. E., The Institute of Materials, 1993.
- Zhang J., Dong P., Brust F. W., A 3-D Composite Shell Element Model for Residual Stress Analysis in Multi-Pass Welds. Transactions of the 14th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT 14), Lyon, France, Vol. 1, pp. 335-344 (1997).
- Brust F. W., Dong P., Zhang J., Crack Growth Behavior in Residual Stress Fields of a Core Shroud Girth Weld. Fracture and Fatigue, Mehta H. S., Ed., PVP-Vol. 350, pp. 391-406 (1997).
- Dong P.: “Modeling and Analysis of Alloy 2195 Welds in Super Lightweight Tank”, Battelle Project Report to Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Alabama, July 1995.
- Brust F. W., Dong P., Zhang J., A Constitutive Model for Welding Process Simulation using Finite Element Methods. Advances in Computational Engineering Science, Atluri S. N. and Yagawa G., Eds., pp. 51-56 (1997).
- Sun, X., Dong, P., and Kimchi, M., “The Coupled Electrical-Thermal-Mechanical Process Associated With Aluminum Welding”, Proc. Of the International Body Engineering Conference (IBEC), Stuttgart, Germany, Sept. 30 - Oct. 2, Vol. 30, pp. 42-48, 1997.
- Dong, P., Ghadiali, N., and Brust, F.W.: “Dungeness B Power Station; Residual Stress Modeling for Superheater Header Weld C Mock-Up”, Battelle Report to Nuclear Electric, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom, June 1995.
- Dong, P. and Brust, F.W.: “Analysis of Residual Stresses and Postulated Defects”, Battelle Project Report to Nuclear Electric, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom, February 1996.
- Rosenthal, D. (1941): “Mathematical Theory of Heat Distribution During Welding and Cutting,” Welding Journal Research Supplement, May, pp. 220-234.