This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of the Ball Toroidal Continuously Variable Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a new concept of continuously variable transmission called the Ball Toroidal Continuously Variable Transmission (ball TCVT). The ball TCVT design is derived from the half-toroidal traction drive (Conventional TCVT). It embodies a new construction principle for the friction element engaging with the toroidal discs. The conventional rollers are being replaced by sphere / balls / cage assemblies. This new construction radically improves the transmission capability. Effortless speed ratio control, integrated neutral/clutch/reverse functions, increased versatility and reduced internal loads are the most significant gains. The paper will first describe the ball TCVT construction and explain its mode of operation. A second part will show the advantages and performances of the ball TCVT in comparison with the conventional TCVT. A third part will report the development status of this project.
CitationFEL, L., "Development of the Ball Toroidal Continuously Variable Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 981479, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981479.
- A High Ratio Multi-Moded Vehicle Transmission Utilizing a Traction Toroidal Continuously Variable Drive and Traction Planetary Dawe Daniel J. Lohr Charles B. International Truck and Bus Meeting and Exposition Detroit, Michigan Nov 1 - 4 1993
- Dual-Cavity Half Toroidal CVT for Passenger Cars Nakano Masaki Hibi Toshifumi Kobayashi Katsuya Worldwide Passenger Car Conference and Exposition Dearborn, Michigan Sep 28 Oct 1 1992 SAE Paper No. 922105
- The Desin and Development of an Experimental Traction drive CVT for a 2.0 Litre FWD Passenger Car Fellows Thomas G. Greenwood Christopher J. International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan Feb 25 Mar 1 1991 SAE Paper No. 910408
- Dynamic Characteristics of Speed Ratio Control of the Half Toroidal CVT for Passenger Cars Nakano Masaki Hibi Toshifumi Passenger Car Meeting and exposition Dearborn, Michigan Sep 17 - 20 1990 SAE Paper No. 901761
- Prototype Design and Testing of the Half Toroidal CVT Machida Hisashi Kurachi Nobuhide International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan Feb 26 Mar 2 1990 SAE Paper No. 900552