This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Experimental Technique for Friction Simulation in Automotive Piston Ring and Cylinder Liners
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 04, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new friction testing system has been designed and built to simulate the actual engine conditions in friction and wear test of piston-ring and cylinder liner assembly. Experimental data has been developed as Friction Coefficient / Crank Angle Degree diagrams including the effects of running speed (500 and 700 rpm) and ring normal load. Surface roughness profilocorder traces were obtained for tested samples. Mixed lubrication regime observed in the most part of the test range. New cylinder bore materials and lubricants can be screened easily and more reliable simulated engine friction data can be collected using this technique.
CitationAkalin, O. and Newaz, G., "A New Experimental Technique for Friction Simulation in Automotive Piston Ring and Cylinder Liners," SAE Technical Paper 981407, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981407.
- Hartfield-Wunsch, S.E. Tung, S.C Rivald, C.J. “Development of a Bench Test for the Evaluation of Engine Cylinder Components and Correlation with Engine Test Results” SAE Paper 932693 1993
- Wuest, G. Barbezat, G. Keller, S. “The Key Advantages of the Plasma-Powder Spray Process for the Thermal Spray Coating of Cylinder Bores in Automotive Industry” SAE Paper 970016 1997
- Koya, E. Hagiwara, Y. Miura, S. Hayashi, T. Fujiwara, T. Onoda, M. “Development of Aluminum Powder Metallurgy Composites for Cylinder Liners” SAE Paper 940847 1994
- Hartfield-Wunsch, S.E. Tung, S.C “The Effect of Microstructure on the Wear Behavior of Thermal Spray Coatings” Proceedings of the 7th National Thermal Spray Conference Boston MA 1994
- Slone, R. Patterson, D. J. Morrison, K. M. Schwatz, G. B. “Wear of Piston Rings and Liners by Laboratory Simulation” SAE Paper 890146 1989
- Patterson, D.J. Hill, H.S. Tung, S.C. “Bench Wear Testing of Engine Power Cylinder Components” Lubrication Engineering 49 89 95 1993
- Ting, L.L. “Development of a Reciprocating Test Rig for Tribological studies of Piston Engine Moving Components- Part 1: Rig Design and Piston Ring Friction Coefficients Measuring Method” SAE Paper 930685 1993
- Ting, L.L. “Development of a Reciprocating Test Rig for Tribological Studies of Piston Engine Moving Components- Part 2: Measurements of Piston Ring Friction Coefficients and Rig Test Confirmation” SAE Paper 930686 1993
- Dearlove, J. Cheng, W.K. “Simultaneous Piston Ring Friction and Oil Film Thickness Measurements in a Reciprocating Test Rig” SAE Paper 952470 1995
- Hill, H.S. Hartfield-Wunsch, S.E. Tung, S.C. “Bench Wear Testing of Common Gasoline Engine Cylinder Bore Surface/Piston Ring Combinations” Tribology Transactions 39 929 935 1996
- Arcumanis, C. Duszynski. M. Flora, H. Ostovar, P. “Development of a Piston-Ring Lubrication Test-Rig and Investigation of Boundary Conditions for Modeling Lubrication Film Properties” SAE Paper 952468 1995
- Rao, V. D. N. Kabat, D. M. Cikanek, H. A. Fucinari, C. A. Wuest, G. “Material Systems for Cylinder Bore Applications - Plasma Spray Technology” SAE Paper 970023 1997
- Rao, V.D.N. Kabat, D.M. Yeager, D. Lizotte, B. “Engine Studies of Solid Film Lubricant Coated Pistons” SAE Paper 970009 1997
- Rao, V. D. N. Cikanek, H. A. Boyer, B. A. Lesnevsky, L. N. Tchernovsky, N. M. Tjurin, N. V. “Friction and Wear Characteristics of Micro-Arc Oxidation Coating for Llight Weight, Wear Resistant Powertrain Application” SAE Paper 970022 1997