This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Maximum Torque Per Ampere Induction Motor Drives - an Alternative to Field-Oriented Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 21, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a new control strategy is proposed which is simple in structure and has the straightforward goal of minimizing the stator current amplitude for a given load torque. It is shown that the resulting induction motor efficiency is reasonably close to optimal and that the approach is insensitive to variations in rotor resistance. Although the torque response is not as fast as in field-oriented control strategies, the response is reasonably fast. In fact, if the mechanical time constant is large relative to the rotor time constant, which is frequently the case, the sacrifice in dynamic performance is insignificant relative to FO strategies.
CitationWasynczuk, O. and Sudhoff, S., "Maximum Torque Per Ampere Induction Motor Drives - an Alternative to Field-Oriented Control," SAE Technical Paper 981257, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981257.
- Bose B. K. Power Electronics and AC Drives Prentice-Hall Englewood Cliffs New Jersey 1986
- Nordin K. B. Novotny D. W. Zinger D. S. “The Influence of Rotor Parameters Deviations in Feedforward Field Orientation Drive Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications IA-21 4 July August 1985
- Kirschen D. S. Novotny D. W. Suwanwisoot W. “Minimizing Induction Motor Losses by Excitation Control in Variable frequency Drives,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications IA-20 5 September October 1984 1244 1251
- Kim H. G. Sul S. K. Park M. H. “Optimal Efficiency Drive of a Current Source Inverter Fed Induction Motor by Flux Control,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications IA-20 6 November December 1984 1453 1459
- Sul S. K. Park M. H. “A Novel Technique for Optimal Efficiency Control of a Current-Source Inverter-Fed Induction Motor IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 3 2 April 1988 192 198
- Famouri P. Cathey J. J. “Loss Minimization Control of an Induction Motor Drive,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 27 1 January February 1991 32 37
- Moreira J. C. Lipo T. A. Blasko V. “Simple Efficiency Maximizer for an Adjustable Frequency Induction Motor Drive,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 27 5 September October 1991 940 945
- Kioskeridis I. Margaris N. “Loss Minimization in Scalar Controlled Induction Motor Drives with Search Controllers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 11 2 March 1996 213 219
- Krause P. C. Wasynczuk O. Sudhoff S. D. Analysis of Electric Machinery IEEE Press 1994
- Schreiner K. E. “Electro-Mechanical Actuator, DC Resonant Link Controller, Final Report NASA Contract NAS3-25799 October 1996
- Wasynczuk O. Sudhoff S. D. Corzine K. A. Tichenor Jerry L. Krause P. C. Hansen I. G. Taylor L. M. “A Maximum Torque per Ampere Control Strategy for Induction Motor Drives,” IEEE transactions on Energy Conversion April 1997
- ACSL Reference Manual 10 Concord, MA 1991