This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electrolytes for Low Temperature Lithium-Ion Cells
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 21, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries have been demonstrated to have high energy density, high voltage, and excellent cycle life which make this technology more attractive than competing systems such as Ni-Cd and Ni-H2. However, the SOA cells fail to meet certain requirements necessary for various future NASA missions, such as good low temperature performance. Under a program sponsored by the Mars Exploration Program we have developed an organic non-aqueous electrolyte which has been demonstrated to result in improved low temperature performance of lithium-ion cells. The electrolyte formulation which has resulted in excellent low temperature performance, as well as good cycle life performance at both ambient and low temperatures, consists of a 1.0M solution of a lithium salt, lithium hexafluoro-phosphate (LiPF6), dissolved in a mixture of carbonates: ethylene carbonate + dimethyl carbonate + diethyl carbonate (1:1:1). Prototype cells with the improved electrolyte showed high capacity at low temperature (-20° to -40°C), high rate capabilities, and good cycle life at low temperature. These improvements were achieved through advances in materials development and cell design concepts.
CitationSmart, M., Ratnakumar, B., Huang, C., and Surampudi, S., "Electrolytes for Low Temperature Lithium-Ion Cells," SAE Technical Paper 981246, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981246.
- Abraham, K.M. Pasquariello, D.M. Martin, F.J. J.Electro-chem. Soc. 1988 133 661
- Smart, M.C. Huang, C.-K. Ratnakumar, B.V. Surampudi, S. Proceedings of the 37th Power Sources Conference 1996 239 24
- Ein-Eli, Y. Thomas, S.R. Chadha, R. Blakley, T.J. Koch, V.R. 1997 “Li-ion Battery Electrolyte Formulated for Low-Temperature Applications” J.Electrochem.Soc. 144 823 829
- Juzkow, M.W. 1997 “PolyStor's Lithium-ion Battery System: A Technology for the 21st Century” Proceedings, 14th International Primary and Secondary Battery Technology and Applications Seminar
- Smart, M.C. Huang, C.-K. Ratnakumar, B.V. Surampudi, S. Proceedings of the Intersocity Energy Conversion Engineering Conference (IECEC) 1997 Honolulu, Hawaii