This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Practical HEV Test Procedures with Prototypes from the 1997 FutureCar Challenge
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many problems are associated with applying standardized vehicle test methods, such as the Federal Test Procedure (FTP), to hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). Since 1992, the Society of Automotive Engineers' (SAE's) HEV Test Procedure Task Force has been working on developing a standard procedure for HEV testing (Draft SAE J1711). Because the current draft requires considerable knowledge of the vehicle's response to the test cycles, still has unresolved problems, and is too lengthy, Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) uses portions of past J1711 drafts in combination with concepts developed through many HEV tests (over 50 to date) for its HEV competition testing. Successful vehicle characterization was achieved at the 1997 FutureCar Challenge competition by characterizing each vehicle's individual operational modes in such a way that the elements of the FTP and Federal Highway Test were satisfied. The HEV results from these methods can be compared with test results from conventional vehicles. The test methods are presented, and actual results and test sequencing are shown from HEV tests at the EPA's National Vehicle and Fuels Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL) in Ann Arbor, Mich., during the 1997 FutureCar Challenge.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Electric Vehicle Test Procedure|
|Technical Paper||EV Battery Life Extension in Field Testing|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Test Procedure for Battery Flame Retardant Venting Systems|
CitationDuoba, M. and Larsen, R., "Investigation of Practical HEV Test Procedures with Prototypes from the 1997 FutureCar Challenge," SAE Technical Paper 981080, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981080.
- Draft SAE J1711 Recommended Practice for Measuring the Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Economy of Hybrid-Electric Vehicles Society of Automotive Engineers October 10 1997
- Duoba, M. et al. Testing Hybrid Electric Vehicle Emissions and Fuel Economy at the 1994 DOE/SAE Hybrid Electric Vehicle Challenge SAE Paper 950177
- Draft SAE J1711 Recommended Practice for Measuring the Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Economy of Hybrid-Electric Vehicles Society of Automotive Engineers May 23 1995
- EPA Control of Air Pollution from New and In-Use Motor Vehicles and New and In-Use Motor Vehicle Engines; Certification and Test Procedures Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office Washington D.C.
- EPA Fuel Economy of Motor Vehicles Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office Washington D.C.
- Journey-To-Work Trends in the United States and Its Major Metropolitan Areas, 1960-1990 Federal Highway Administration U.S. Department of Transportation Washington, D.C. November 1993
- 1990 Nationwide Personal Transportation Survey (NPTS) Users Guide for the Public Use Tapes U.S. Department of Transportation Washington, D.C.