This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Matching Ignition System Multi-Spark Calibration to the Burn-Rate of an Engine to Extend Ignitability Limits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
“Multi-Spark” refers to the charging and discharging of an ignition coil multiple times during a single combustion event. This paper attempts to use multi-sparking to achieve an effect similar to a long duration spark to enhance combustion during slow burn conditions.
Although multi-sparking is more typical of capacitive discharge (CDI) ignition systems, this paper discusses the multi-sparking of Kettering ignition systems to achieve the benefits of multi-sparking without CDIs' cost, packaging, complexity and reliability issues.
The goal of the multi-spark calibration is to successfully initiate flame kernal development with the first spark discharge and add supplemental energy fast enough through restriking to prevent the flame kernal from quenching.
CitationCzekala, M., Johnston, B., Morganti, C., and McRoy, G., "Matching Ignition System Multi-Spark Calibration to the Burn-Rate of an Engine to Extend Ignitability Limits," SAE Technical Paper 981046, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981046.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Anderson, R. Asik, J. SAE Paper 830477 Ignitability Experiments in a Fast Burn, Lean Burn Engine 1983
- Anderson, R. SAE Paper 870549 The Effect of Ignition System Power on Fast Burn Engine Combustion 1987 Ford Scientific Research Labs
- Maly, R. SAE Paper 830478 Prospects for Ignition Enhancement 1983 University of Stuttgart
- Ziegler, G. Wagner, E. Saggau, B. Maly, R. Herden, W. SAE Paper 840992 Influence of a Breakdown Ignition System on Performance and Emission Characteristics 1984
- Albrecht, H. Bloss, W. Herden, W. Maly, R. Saggau, B. Wagner, E. SAE Paper 770853 New Aspects on Spark Ignition 1977
- Maly, R. Vogel, M. 17th International Symposium on Combustion, Proceedings Combustion Institute, Initiation and Propagation of Flame Fronts in Lean CH4-Air Mixtures by the Three Modes of the Ignition Spark 1979
- Maly, R. 18th International Symposium on Combustion The Combustion Institute, Ignition Model for Spark Discharges and the Early Phase of Flame Front Growth 1981
- Hoard, J. Rehagen, L. SAE Paper 970035 Relating Subjective Idle Quality to Engine Combustion 1997
- Maly, R. Herweg, R. SAE Paper 922243 A Fundamental Model for Flame Kernel Formation in S.I. Engines 1992