This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Tumble Strength on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Single-Cylinder, Four-Valve, Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Direct flame imaging and pressure analysis were applied to the combustion of gasoline and compressed natural gas (CNG) in a single-cylinder, four-valve spark-ignition engine equipped with optical access via quartz windows in the cylinder liner and piston crown. Tests were performed at three engine speed/load conditions and at equivalence ratios of 1.0, 0.9 and 0.8. The four-valve head incorporated two different port geometries, with and without metal sleeves to deflect the intake air flow, in order to investigate the effect of tumble strength on combustion and engine-out emissions of unburned hydrocarbons and NOx. The results showed that sleeving of the intake ports produced a significant increase in IMEP and a reduction in CoV IMEP for both CNG and gasoline, due to the greatly reduced bum duration. Combination of the enhanced tumble induced by the sleeved ports and open valve fuel injection has allowed engine performance with CNG comparable to gasoline but with lower NOx levels and a leaner mixture operating limit.
CitationArcoumanis, C., Godwin, S., and Kim, J., "Effect of Tumble Strength on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Single-Cylinder, Four-Valve, Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 981044, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981044.
- Iwamoto, Y. Noma, K. Nakayama, O. Yamauchi, T. Ando, H. ‘Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 970541 1997
- Gosman, A. D. Tsui, Y. Y. Vafidis, C. ‘Flow In A Model Engine With A Shrouded Valve - A Combined Experimental And Computational Study.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 850498 1985
- Arcoumanis, C. Hu, Z. Vafidis, C. Whitelaw, J. H. ‘Tumbling motion: A mechanism for turbulence enhancement in spark-ignition engines.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 900060 1990
- Haworth, D. C. El Tahry, S. H. Huebler, M. S. Chang, S. ‘Multidimensional Port-and Cylinder Flow Calculations for Two- and Four-Valve Per Cylinder Engines: Influence of Intake Configuration on Flow Structure.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 900257 1990
- Arcoumanis, C. Hu, Z. Whitelaw, J. H. ‘Steady Flow Characterisation of Tumble-Generating FourValve Cylinder Heads.’ Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 207 203 210 1993
- Kalighi, B. ‘Intake Generated In-Cylinder Tumbling Flow - A Flow Visualisation Study.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 900005 1990
- Hadded, O. Denbratt, I. ‘Turbulence Characteristics of Tumbling Air Motion in Four-Valve S. I. Engines and Their Correlation with Combustion Parameters.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 910478 1991
- Arcoumanis, C. Bae, C. S. Hu, Z. ‘Flow and Combustion in a Four-Valve Spark-Ignition Optical Engine.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 940475 1994
- Bae C.-S ‘Flow and Flame Interaction in Spark-Ignited Premixed Mixtures.’ Imperial College London 1993
- Pischinger, S Heywood, J. B. ‘How Heat Losses to the Spark Plug Electrodes Affect Flame Kernel Development in an S. I. -Engine.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 900021 1990
- Heywood, J. B. ‘Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals.’ McGraw-Hill Automotive Technology Series 1989
- Arcoumanis, C. Bae, C. S. ‘Flame Image Processing in a Four-Valve Spark-Ignition Optical Engine.’ 3rd International Conference of The Institute of Mechanical Engineers 9-10 January 1996 IMechE HQ London 1995
- White, J. J. Carroll, J. N. Liss, W. E. Brady, M. J. Burkmyre, W. M. Church, M. ‘Natural Gas Converter Performance and Durability.’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 930222 1993
- Lapetz, J. Beitler, J. Fulton, B. LeRoux, M. Locke, J. Peters, E. Roman, L. Walsh, R. Wolff, W ‘Ford's 1996 Crown Victoria Dedicated Natural Gas vehicle.’ SAE Technical Paper Series 952743 1995
- ‘Exhaust Emissions of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Vehicles compared with Gasoline Vehicles.’ 1995 Technical Bulletin No. 15, Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Programme July 1995
- Evans, R. I. Blaszczyk, J ‘A Comparative Study of the Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Spark Ignition Engine Fuelled by Natural Gas and Gasoline.’ Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 211 39 47 1997
- Stone, C. R. Mendis, K. J. S. Daragheh, M. ‘Measurements and modelling of a lean burn gas engine.’ Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 210 449 462 1996