This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a BIOSID Model for Side Airbag Design Study of a Large Size Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study a mathematical model was developed for the BIOSID dummy using the CAL3D simulation program. This model was correlated to the dummy impact response using pendulum tests on various body regions, and a side sled test. Favorable comparisons were achieved between the test results and the model responses. This model was then used for identifying optimal side airbag designs for a large car.
CitationDeng, Y. and Peng, J., "Development of a BIOSID Model for Side Airbag Design Study of a Large Size Car," SAE Technical Paper 980914, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980914.
- NHTSA Side Impact Final Rule
- Hackney, J. R. Monk, M. W. Hollowell, W. T. Sullivan, L. K. “Results of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Thoracic Side Impact Protection Research Program” SAE Paper 840886
- Eppinger, R. H. Marcus, J. H. Morgan, R. M. “Development of Dummy and Injury Index for NHTSA's Side Impact Protection Research Program” SAE Paper 840885
- Beebe, M. B. “What is BIOSID?” SAE 900377 1990
- Mertz, H. J. “Anthropomorphic Test Devices” Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Prevention Nahum, A. M. Melvin, J. W. SAE Publication 1993
- Viano, D. C. Fan, A. Ueno, K. Walilko, T. Cavanaugh, J. King, A. “Biofidelity and Injury Assessment in EURO-SID I and BIOSID” The 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings Coronado, California Nov. 8-10 1995
- Bennett J. A. Park, G. J. “Automotive Occupant Dynamics Optimization” ASME Advances in Design Automation 32 1 Sept. 1991
- Bennett, J. A. Lust, R. V. Wang, J. T. “Optimal Design Strategies in Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection” Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation Systems ASME Publication 126 19 1991
- Deng, Y.-C. “Side Impact Simulation and Thoracic Injury Assessment” The 11th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Washington D.C. May 12-15 1987
- Deng, Y.-C. Ng, P. “Simulation of Vehicle Structure and Occupant Response in Side Impact” The 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference San Antonio, Texas Nov. 8-10 1993
- Deng, Y.-C. Tzeng, B. “Side Impact Countermeasure Study Using A Hybrid Modeling Technique” The 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference Albuquerque, New Mexico Nov. 4-6 1996
- Fountain, M. Spiess, O. “The Development of a BIOSID Dummy Model Using MADYMO” Research Report for General Motors-Holden's Australia October 1993
- Fountain, M. Altamore, P. Skarakis, J. Spiess, O. “Mathematical Modelling of the BIOSID Dummy” Proceedings of the 38th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 942226 1994
- Fleck, J. T. Butler, F. E. “Validation of the Crash Victim Simulator” 1981
- Wang, J. T. Deng, Y.-C. Ressler, G. E. “Analytical Studies of Airbag System Design for Side Impacts” Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation Systems ASME Publication 218 1996
- Hallquist, J. O. Stillman, D. W. Lin, T.-L. LS-DYNA3D User's Manual 1992