This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Leakage Characteristics of Brush Mounted Labyrinth Seal With Rotating Speed
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Leak and seal performances in stationary state and rotating state for each brush mounted labyrinth and ordinary labyrinth were studied and presented hereunder in this paper.
It was found in this research work that seal performance of brushmounted labyrinth is much better than that of ordinary labyrinth. Brush mounted labyrinth has two remarkable characteristics: In the case that the brush is positioned behind fin against flow, i.e. positioned downstream of fin, amount of leakage is suppressed as increasing of rotation speed. In the case that brush is positioned upstream of fin, leakage increases as increasing of rotation speed.
|Technical Paper||GMX: An Expert System that Selects the Optimum Gasket Material for an Application|
|Technical Paper||Hydraulic Fluids: Foaming, Air Entrainment, and Air Release - A Review|
CitationMiyake, K. and Duh, W., "Leakage Characteristics of Brush Mounted Labyrinth Seal With Rotating Speed," SAE Technical Paper 980846, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980846.
- Komotori Tech.Paper “Noncontact type seal” 1973
- Komotori K. Miyake K. GTSJ, Paper No. 45 1977 371
- Miyake K. Watanabe E. Ariga I. SAE, Aerospace Transaction 95 1986 7 1451
- Miyake, Ariga JSME paper, No. 87 1987 325
- meyer C.A. Lowrie J.A. Trans. ASME 1974
- Chupp, R.E. Nelson P. Lt AIAA/SAE/ASME/ASEE 26th Joint Propulsion Conference Papar, AIAA 90-2140 1990
- Mullen, R.L. Braun, M.J. Hendricks, R.C. AIAA/SAE/ASME/ASEE, 26th Joint Propulsion Conference Paper, AIAA 90-21 41 1990
- Holle, G.F. Krishnan, M.R. AIAA/SAE/ASME/ASEE, 26th Joint Propulsion Conference Paper AIAA 90-2142
- Flower, R. AIAA/SAE/ASME/ASEE, 26th Joint Pro pulsion Conference Paper AIAA 90-2143 1990
- Derby, J. England, R. AIAA/SAE/ASME/ASEE, 28th Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhit Paper AIAA 92-3715
- Carlile, J.A. Hendricks, R.C. AIAA/SAE/ASME/ASEE, 29th Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit Paper AI AA 92-2535
- Kudriavtsev, V.V. Braun, M.J. SAE Aero space Paper 94-1208
- Carlile, J.A. Hendricks, R.C. Yoder, D.A. ASME Paper No.92-GT-304
- Bayley, F.J. Long, C.A. ASME paper No.92-GT-355
- Braun, M.J. Canacci, V.A. Hendricks, R.C. STLE Tribol.Trans. 34 1991 70 80
- Howe, H.W. ASME Paper No.93-GT-373
- Chupp, R.E. Dowler, C.A. ASME Trans. 115 1993 390 396
- Bayley, F.J. Long, C.A. ASME Trans. 115 1993 404 410
- Hawthorne, H.M. Tribology International 27 1994 87 95
- Yamada JSME Paper, 26-171 1960 1514
- Komotori JSME Paper, 21-108 1955 608