This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electronic Direct Fuel Injection System Applied to an 1100cc Two-Stroke Personal Watercraft Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Direct injection has been considered the most effective approach to overcome the inherent short-circuiting of fuel in a two-stroke engine. A practical application of this technology on an 1100cc personal watercraft (PWC) engine is described. The experimental results show a drastic improvement in the engine emissions and fuel economy while maintaining good output performance and drive-ability of the PWC tested. The all-electronic, direct fuel injection engine has demonstrated a 76.3% reduction in hydrocarbon (HC) emissions and 43.03 g/kW-h HC plus oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. This HC + NOx level meets the emission standards applicable to the 2006 model year set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for new gasoline spark-ignition marine engines.
Finally some considerations on extending the technology to include combustion control in the areas of both air and spark management, are recommended.
|Technical Paper||Exhaust Emissions Sensitivities with Direct Injection on a 50cc Scooter|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Tamper Resistance for Adjustable Parameters on Diesel Fuel Injection Pumps|
|Technical Paper||DISI Engine Spark and Fuel Injection Timings. Effects, Compromise and Robustness|
CitationJohnson, D. and Wong, H., "Electronic Direct Fuel Injection System Applied to an 1100cc Two-Stroke Personal Watercraft Engine," SAE Technical Paper 980756, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980756.
- Sato, T. Nakayama, M. “Gasoline Direct Injection for a Loop-Scavenged Two-Stroke Cycle Engine” SAE Paper 871690 1987
- Nuti, M. “Direct Fuel Injection: An Opportunity for Two-Stroke SI Engines in Road Vehicle Use” SAE Paper 860170 1986
- Plohberger, D. Landfahrer, K. Mikulic, L. “Development of Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 880170 1988
- Kuentscher, V. “Application of Charge Stratification, Lean Burn Combustion Systems and Anti-Knock Control Devices in Small Two-Stroke Cycle Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 860171 1986
- Heimberg, W. “FICHT Pressure Surge Injection System” SAE Paper 931502 1993
- Environmental Protection Agency “Air Pollution Control; Gasoline Spark-Ignition Marine Engines; New Nonroad Compression-Ignition and Spark-Ignition Engines, Exemptions; Rule” October 4 1996
- Beck, N. J. Johnson, W.P. Barkhimer, R. L. Patterson, S.H. “Electronic Fuel Injection for Two-Stroke Cycle Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 861242 1986
- Zhao, Fu-Quan Yoo, Joon-Ho Liu, Yi Lai, Ming-Chia “Spray Dynamics of High Pressure Fuel Injectors for DI Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 961925 1996
- Li, Shui-Chi Gebert, Kresimir “Spray Characterization of BKM Gasoline Fuel Injectors” BKM Report No. 970036 1997
- Liu, Qihua Gao, Zongying “Two-Dimensional Calculation of the Gas Exchange Processes in Direct-Injection Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 961805 1996
- Johnson, Daren “Lake Havasu Demonstration Summary” BKM Report No. 960068 1996
- Johnson, Daren “Status Report March 1997” BKM Report No. 970023 1997