This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact Fracture Mechanisms in TPO Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fundamental knowledge concerning how thermoplastic polyolefins (TPOs) fail under impact fracture conditions is lacking. Approaches for gaining such knowledge are proposed. The fracture mechanisms in a variety of experimental and commercially available thermoplastic olefins (TPO) blends are investigated using the double-notch four-point-bend Charpy impact test. It is shown that the operative impact fracture mechanisms and the size of the damage zone in TPO blends depend strongly on the impact modifiers utilized. Strategy for improving low temperature impact strength of TPOs is discussed.
|Technical Paper||Predicting Impact Performance of Painted Thermoplastic Exterior Body Panels|
|Technical Paper||Fully Integrated Structural Instrument Panel System|
CitationSue, H., Lu, J., Sehanobish, K., and Chuh, J., "Impact Fracture Mechanisms in TPO Blends," SAE Technical Paper 980722, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980722.
- Wu S. Polymer 26 1855 1985
- Evans A.G. Ahmad Z.B. Gilbert D.G. Beaumont P.W.R. acta metall. 34 79 1986
- Kinloch A.J. Shaw S.J. Tod D.A. Hunston D.L. Polymer 24 1341 1983
- Borggreve R.J.M. Gaymans R.J. Schuijer J. Housz J.F. Ingen Polymer 28 1489 1987
- Breuer H. Haaf F. Stabenow J. J. Macromol. Sci.-Phys. B14 3 387 1977
- Bucknall C. B. “Toughened Plastics” Applied Science London 1977
- Kinloch A. J. Young R. J. “Fracture Behavior of Polymers” Elsevier Applied Science Publisher London, New York 1983
- Sue H.-J. Yee A.F. J. Mater. Sci. 24 1447 1989
- Sue H.-J. Yee A.F. J. Mater. Sci. 26 3449 1991
- Sue H.-J. The University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan 1988
- Sue H.-J. Pickelman D.M. “Toughening Concept in High Performance Epoxies” Elastomer Technology Handbook Cheremisinoff N.P. CRC Press Boca Raton, Florida 1993
- Holik A. S. Kambour R. P. Hobbs S. Y. Fink D. G. Microstruct. Sci. 7 357 1979