This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of the Brake Assist System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We investigated and analyzed the average vehicle-driver's braking behavior in panic situations by conducting vehicle tests that duplicated real world conditions that would require emergency braking performance. From our investigation, we have noticed that when panic braking is recognized, supplying additional braking power is effective for active safety. The Brake Assist System, which supplies full constant braking force when panic braking is recognized, is effective for drivers who cannot apply enough braking effort. However, in some case, such a system makes more experienced drivers uncomfortable because the deceleration caused by this full constant braking force might be different from their intentions. Considering these issues, we have developed the Brake Assist System that increases its controllability while reducing its discomfort. The TOYOTA RAUM has been available with the Brake Assist System since May 1997.
|Journal Article||A Study on the Effect of Brake Assist Systems (BAS)|
|Technical Paper||Braking Behaviour in Emergencies|
|Technical Paper||ACTIVE SAFETY EXPERIMENTS WITH COMMON DRIVERS FOR THE SPECIFICATION OF ACTIVE SAFETY SYSTEMS|
CitationYoshida, H., Sugitani, T., Ohta, M., Kizaki, J. et al., "Development of the Brake Assist System," SAE Technical Paper 980601, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980601.
- Kading W. Hoffmeyer F. The Advanced Daimler-Benz Driving Simulator SAE 950175
- Nagiri S. Amano Y. takei K. Doi S. An Experimental Analysis of Avoidance Maneuver in Emergent Situation JSAE 9633306 Gakujutsu Kouenkai Maezurishu 962 161 164 1996
- Tsutsui S. Yonekawa T. Driver's Characteristics of Avoidance Maneuver JSAE 9539860 Gakujutsu Kouenkai Maezurishu 956 5 8 1995
- Yamamoto A. Improvement of Accident Avoidance Performance Considering Driver-Vehicle System JSAE 9541641 Jidosha Gijutsu 49 12 10 15 1995
- Prynne K. Martin P. Braking Behaviour in Emergencies SAE 950969
- Sasaki K. Hashimoto Y. Brake Assistance in Emergency TOYOTA Technical Review 45 1 70 75 1995
- Rath H. Knechtges J. Effective Active Safety toReduce Road Accidents SAE 950761
- Yoshida H. Kizaki J. Yamamoto A. Shirai K. Tsubouchi K. Kojima S. Development of the Brake Assist System TOYOTA Technical Review 47 1 78 83 1997
- Koike S. Ohba S. Sugitani T. hara M. Development of the Brake Assist Systems JSME No97-12 3214 1997
- Hara M. Ohta M. Shimizu S. Development of the Brake Assist System - Summary of hydraulic Brake Assist System JSAE 9740848 Gakujutsu Kouenkai Maezurishu 976 215 218 1997