This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Surface Waviness - Sealing's Hidden Enemy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Off-Highway & Powerplant Congress & Exposition International Congress & Exposition
Modern, metal-based, static seal technologies are more sensitive to component flange surface finish effects than their softer, composite cousins. Non-averaging or skidless profilometer instruments are capable of accurately resolving the short-wavelength roughness and long-wavelength waviness components of a surface profile. Simple roughness measurements of a surface often ignore the important waviness features that can result in sealing difficulties with these seal technologies. This paper presents techniques for proper surface profile filtering and investigates the impact of waviness conditions on basic, static sealing performance.
|Technical Paper||Platen Parallelism Effects in Gasket Sealability Testing|
|Technical Paper||Material and Dimensional Considerations During the Hydraulic Seal Selection Process|
CitationWidder, E. and Bajner, D., "Surface Waviness - Sealing's Hidden Enemy," SAE Technical Paper 980578, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980578.
- SAE Gasket Subcommittee “Gasket and Joint Design Manual for Engine and Transmission Systems” 1988 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Czernik, D. E. Horve, L. A. “Handbook of Fluid Sealing” 1993 McGraw Hill, Inc.
- Automotive News “Coated Gaskets Play Larger Role in U.S. Market” 11 25 96 Crain Communications, Inc.
- Dishaw, R.D. Kobayashi, M. SAE Paper 890270 “Multi-Layer Steel Gasket Technology for Engine Cylinder Head and Manifold Applications” 1989 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Capretta, R. Ohigashi, H. SAE Paper 950322 “Design Methodology for Automotive Multi-Layer Steel Cylinder Head Gaskets” 1995 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Novak, G. Schwerdtfeger, G. Widder, E. SAE Paper 950328 “Sealing Performance of an Embossed Rubber Coated Metal Gasket” 1995 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Hammond, D. L. SAE Paper 700142 “Surface Finish Analysis Through Analog Techniques” 1970 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Schneider, E. J. SAE Paper 700144 “Surface Finish Testing - The Present State of the Art and Its Future” 1970 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- ASME Committee B46; ASME Standard B46.1-1995 “Surface Texture (Surface Roughness, Waviness, and Lay)” 1996 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- German standard DIN 4777 “Assessment of Surface Texture; Profile Filters for Use in Electrical Contact Stylus Instruments; Phase Correct Filters” 1990 Beuth Verlag GmbH
- International Standards Organization ISO standard 11562 “Metrological Characterization of Phase Corrected Filters and Transmission Bands for Use in Contact Stylus Instruments” 1996 ISO
- Mummery, L. “Surface Texture Analysis - The Handbook” 1992 Hommelwerke GmbH
- Hydell, R. R. SAE Paper 670031 “Peak to Valley Roughness Control Now” 1967 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Fel-Pro, Inc. “Master Gasket Catalog - Passenger & Light Duty Truck” 754 1997