This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Math-Based Piston Noise Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new math-based piston noise model is proposed. It is based on a EHD (elastohydrodynamic) piston lubrication and secondary dynamic analysis. The model predicts the force on the bore wall as a function of time, which is then transformed to the frequency domain. The dynamic calculations of the model were validated against a closed form solution for a simple 1-D model. The model was applied to a production V8 engine. Predictions of the model compared well with block acceleration measurements for the same engine both in relative magnitude and frequencies. Effects of changing clearance and oil supply were also investigated using the model.
CitationParanjpe, R., "Development of a Math-Based Piston Noise Model," SAE Technical Paper 980564, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980564.
- Goenka, P. K. Paranjpe, R. S. Jeng, Y.R. 1992 “FLARE: An Integrated Software Package for Friction and Lubrication Analysis of Automotive Engines - Part I: Overview- and Applications” SAE Paper No. 920487 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 24-28 1992
- Goenka, P. K. Meernik, P. R. 1992 “Lubrication Analysis of Piston Skirts” SAE Paper No. 920490 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 24-28 1992
- Richmond, J. W. Parker, D. A. “The Quantification and Reduction of Piston Slap Noise” 1987 Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers 201 04 235 244
- Ohta, K. Irie, Y. Yamamoto, K. Ishikawa, H. 1987 “Piston Slap Induced Noise and Vibration of Internal Combustion Engines (1st Report): Theoretical Analysis and Simulation SAE Paper No. 87099
- Slack, J. W. Lyon, R. H. “Piston Slap” 1982 Engine Noise Plenum Press New York - London
- Chen, F. H. K. “Applications of Spectrograms to Practical Signature Analysis Problems” 1989 Proceedings of the 7th International Modal Analysis Conference