This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimating the Coefficient of Restitution of Vehicle-to-Vehicle Bumper Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A correlation was developed which allows an estimate of the coefficient of restitution for vehicle-to-vehicle bumper impacts to be made. Published restitution data for vehicles equipped with isolator, rigid, and foam-core bumpers were analyzed. The restitution data were found to correlate reasonably well with the closing velocity and almost as well with the target vehicle velocity change. On the other hand, the data scatter for vehicle-to-barrier impacts was so great that a correlation was not attempted. In addition, a number of vehicle-to-vehicle collisions were “simulated” using vehicle-to-barrier restitution data as input to Howard, et al's equation which was then used to calculate the vehicle-to-vehicle restitution. It was thought that vehicle-to-vehicle restitution determined in this manner would also correlate with closing velocity, but the correlation was weak.
CitationAntonetti, V., "Estimating the Coefficient of Restitution of Vehicle-to-Vehicle Bumper Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 980552, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980552.
- Collins, J.C., “Accident Reconstruction,” Charles C. Thomas Publisher, Springfield, IL, 1979.
- Howard, R.P., Bomar, J., and Bare, C., “Vehicle Restitution Response in Low Velocity Collisions,” SAE 931842.
- Malmsbury, R.N. and Eubanks, J.J., “Damage and/or Impact Absorber (Isolator) Movements Observed in Low Speed Crash Tests Involving Ford Escorts,” SAE 940912.
- Siegmund, G.P., Bailey, M.N., and King, D.J., “Characteristics of Specific Automobile Bumpers in Low-Velocity Impacts,” SAE 940916.
- Siegmund, G.P., King, D.P., and Montgomery, D.T., “Using Barrier Impact Data to Determine Speed Change in Aligned, Low Speed Vehicle-to-Vehicle Collisions,” SAE 960887.
- Szabo, T.J. and Welcher, J., “Dynamics of Low Speed Crash Tests with Energy Absorbing Bumpers,” SAE 921573.
- Bailey, M. N., King, D. J., Romilly, D. P., and Thomson, R., “Characterization of Automotive Bumper Components for Low Speed Impacts,” Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference VII, June 1991, Vancouver, BC.
- Woolley, R.L., Strother, C.E., and James, M.B., “Rear Stiffness Coefficients Derived from Barrier Test Data,” SAE 910120.
- King, D.J., Siegmund, G.P., and Bailey, M.N., “Automobile Bumper Behavior in Low-Speed Impacts,” SAE 930211.
- Bailey, M.N., Wong, B.C., Lawrence, J.M., “Data and Methods for Estimating the Severity of Minor Impacts,” SAE 950352.