This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Characteristics of Carbon Deposit Formation in Piston Top Ring Groove of Gasoline and Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to investigate the characteristics of top ring groove deposit formation in gasoline and diesel engine, engine test and simulation test were performed.
From component analysis of used oils sampled from actual running engines, oxidation and nitration for gasoline engine and soot content for diesel engine were selected as main parameters for evaluating oil degradation. In gasoline engine, deposit formation increases linearly with oxidation and nitration, and especially, oil oxidation is a dominant factor on the deposit formation rather than nitration. And, deposit formation increases gradually in low temperature ranges below 260°C even if oils are highly oxidized, but it increases rapidly if piston top ring groove temperature is above 260°C. In diesel engine, deposit formation is highly related to soot content in lubricating oils. Different from gasoline engine, soot contained in oil accelerates deposit formation even in low temperature range below 260°C, but the deposit formation is affected by both temperature and soot content in higher temperature range above 260°C. So, the deposit formation in IDI diesel engine, which produces larger amount of soot, is highly affected by soot as well as piston top ring groove temperature.
CitationKim, J., Min, B., Lee, D., Oh, D. et al., "The Characteristics of Carbon Deposit Formation in Piston Top Ring Groove of Gasoline and Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 980526, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980526.
- Mc Geehan J. A. Fontana B. J. “Effect of Soot on Piston Deposits and Crankcase Oils-Infrared Spectrometric Technique for Analyzing Soot” SAE paper 801368 1980
- Mc Geehan J. A. Fontana B. J. Kramer J. D. “The Effects of Piston temperature and Fuel Sulfur on Diesel Engine Piston Deposits” SAE paper 821216 1982
- Ripple D. Guzauskas J. “Fuel Sulfur Effects on Diesel Engine Lubrication” SAE paper 902175 1990
- Miyahara M. Watanabe Y. “Investigation into Extending Diesel Engine Oil Drain Interval” SAE paper 912339 1991
- Sutor P. Bardasz E. A. Bryzik W. “Improvement of High-Temperature Diesel Engine Lubricants” SAE paper 900687 1990
- Keller G. Shimcoski D. Blatz F. “Intake Valve Deposit Testing Using an Engine Dynamometer Procedure” SAE paper 922261 1992
- Cheng S. “The Effects of Engine Oils on Intake Valve Deposits and Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE paper 932810 1993
- Papachristo M. Williams D. Vincent M. Raath A. “Deposit Control Additive Effects on CCD Formation Engine Performance and Emission” SAE paper 952444 1995
- Uehara T. Sagami K. Esaki Y. “Study of Combustion Chamber Deposit Formation Mechanism-Part 2:Influence of Fuel and Gasoline Detergent” Transaction of JSAE 9637203 1996
- Lakatos L. K. Jones R. N. Roby S. H. “Modelling of ASTM Sequence IIIE Piston Ring Land Deposit Formation” SAE paper 922293 1992
- Inoue K. Yamanaka Y. “Change in Performance of Engine Oils with Degradation” SAE paper 902122 1990
- Jaynes S. Salomon M. Riga A. Kornberkke R. Davis K. “Investigation of Lubricant Sludge Formation in the Field: Development of an Effective New Fleet Test Technique” SAE paper 910748 1991
- Mc Geehan J. A. “Clean Diesel Exhaust but Sooty Engines: The Importance of the Crankcase oil” SAE paper 912342 1991
- Dam W. Morris J. “Diesel Engine Oil Dispersion Performance” SAE paper 941938 1994
- Bardasz E. A. “Understanding Soot Mediated Oil Thickening Through Designed Experimentation-Part 1: Mack EM6-287, GM 6.2L” SAE paper 952527 1995
- Nomura Y. Ohsawa K. Ishiguro T. “Mechanism of Intake-Valve Deposit Formation. Part 2: Simulation Tests” SAE paper 900152 1990
- Mitsui J. Akiyama K. Okada M. “Effect of Gasoline Engine Oil Components on Intake Valve Deposit” SAE paper 932792 1992
- Nahumck W. Hyndman C. Cryvoff S. “Development of the PV-2 Engine Deposit and Wear Test - An ASTM Task Force Progress Report” SAE paper 872123 1987
- Murakami Y. Aihara H. “Effects of NOx and Unburned Gasoline on Low Temperature Sludge Formation in Engine Oil” SAE paper 910747 1991
- Narita K. “The Effects of Diesel Soot on Engine Oil Performance” Journal of Japanese Society of Tribologists 42