This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cooling System Performance Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the ever increasing demand on automotive manufactures to reduce lead times, improve performance, add air conditioning, meet noise and pollution legislation the need to evaluate and improve cooling system performance at the design stage is becoming increasingly important. The cooling system is taken to encompass the full air path of grills, inlet plenum, cooling pack, under bonnet resistance and outlet to the free stream.
This paper describes the main structure of a PC based computer program which is being developed to permit the cooling system performance to be optimized at the vehicle concept stage or prior to major updates to a model, which could be for example front end styling or a change of engine. Also discussed are details of how the air paths through the cooling pack, and the system resistances from the inlet grill to the engine compartment outlet are determined.
|Technical Paper||Radial and Tangential Flow Fans-An Alternative to Axial Flow Fans for Low Noise Automotive Cooling Systems|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of the Progression of Rainwater Film Over the Bonnet of a Road Vehicle|
CitationWhite, P., Smith, J., and Murdoch, I., "Cooling System Performance Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 980431, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980431.
- MINEGISHI T. et al A study of a practical numerical analysis method for heat flow distribution in the engine compartment , paper 931081, VTMS Conference SAE P-263 1993
- CALTRIDER J.L. et al Impact of computer aided engineering on Ford light truck cooling design and development processes paper 931104 , VTMS Conference SAE P-263 1993
- BAUER W. et al Design of cooling systems with simulation and underhood flow analysis using CFD paper C496/042/95, VTMS 2 Conference, IMechE 1995
- LI P. et al A flow network approach to vehicle underhood heat transfer problem paper 931073, VTMS Conference SAE P-263 1993
- SMITH W.S. In vehicle cooling module performance prediction - PC program features paper 931074, VTMS Conference SAE P-263 1993
- EICHLSEDER W. et al Calculation and design of cooling systems paper 931088, VTMS Conference SAE P-263 1993
- EICHLSEDER W. et al Quasi-steady calculation of cooling systems with forecast on unsteady calculations paper C496/009/95, VTMS 2 Conference, IMechE 1995
- HUCHO W.H. Aerodynamics of road vehicles Butterworth-Heineman
- EMMENTHAL K.D. A rational approach to automotive radiator systems design , SAE paper 740088 1974
- STAPLEFORD W.R. Factors affecting the selection of fans for automotive engine applications , paper F2, BHRA Fan design and applications conference Guilford 1982