This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cooling System Development and Optimization with the Computer Code COOL
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Because of increasing stresses in combustion engines and critical comfort requirements of engine warm-up behavior, FEV has placed a special emphasis on solving cooling system problems. In addition to 3D-CFD calculations and special FEV measurement techniques - such as fiber optical cavitation detection, instationary heat balance measurements during warm-up, etc. - FEV has developed a 1D computer code, known as ‘COOL’, to optimize cooling systems already during the engine design phase or to analyse and eliminate weaknesses in the coolant circuit of existing engines.
Beside the algorithm and structure of COOL the paper mainly presents the analysis capabilities of the code. In this connection the emphasis is placed on examples to the current OEMs problem: transient warm-up of DI-diesel engines.
The COOL-code is so far a unique CAE tool which exclusively has been applied to projects conducted by FEV. Because of the increasing demand it is planned to commercialize the code in 1998. The paper closes with an outlook to the strategy of the future software development 1) with view to the automotive applier demands.
CitationKoch, F., Maassen, F., and Haubner, F., "Cooling System Development and Optimization with the Computer Code COOL," SAE Technical Paper 980425, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980425.
- Koch, F. Maassen, F. Engine Cooling FEV Bulletin 1996
- Maassen, F. Haubner, F. FEV-Rechenprogramm COOL FEV Bulletin 1996
- Haas, A von Essen, M. Maassen, F. Influence of Design on Cylinder Liner Stresses of High Speed SI Engines ATA International Symposium UCIMU Milano 5.-6 11 1992
- Haas, A. Stecklina, R. Fahl, E. Fuel Economy Improvement by Low Friction Engine Design 2nd International Seminar: Worldwide Engine Emission Standards and How to Meet Them London 1993
- Esch, Th. Saupe, Th. Fahl, E. Koch, F. 1997