This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cold Start Emissions Investigation at Different Ambient Temperature Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A vital question for car manufacturers in countries where the temperature over night falls below freezing, is the significant increase of CO (carbon monoxide) and HC (hydrocarbon) emissions during the start and warm-up of spark ignition engines.
ECE (Economic Commission for Europe) (UDC) (Urban Driving Cycle) cycles, divided into elementary phases, have been used to determine the level of harmful CO and HC emissions and fuel consumption in the cold start and warm up phase.
Tests were undertaken on cars conditioned in temperatures ranging from +22°C to -15°C have shown significant increases in CO and HC as the temperature decreases.
CitationBielaczyc, P. and Merkisz, J., "Cold Start Emissions Investigation at Different Ambient Temperature Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 980401, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980401.
- Ohyama, Y. Mixture Formation During Cold Starting and Warm-up in Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper Series 960065
- Rijkeboer, R.C. Havenith, C. Emissions During Cold Start and Warm-up from Passenger Cars at Low Ambient Temperatures 17 Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 25 - 26 April 1996 VDI Verlag 1996
- Laurikko, J. Exhaust Emission from Motor Vehicles in Low Temperature Conditions 3rd Symposium „Traffic Induced Air Pollution-Emissions, Impact and Air Quality” TU-Graz 29-30 April 1996
- Pucher, G.R. Gardiner, D.P. Mallory, R.W. Bardon, M.F. The Effects of Reduced Ambient Temperatures on the Warm-Up Fuel Consumption Behavior of Gasoline Fuelled Automobiles SAE Technical Paper Series 952563
- Bielaczyc, P. Merkisz, J. Exhaust Emission from Passenger Cars During Engine Cold Start and Warm - Up SAE Technical Paper Series 970740
- Bielaczyc, P. Merkisz, J. Cold Start Emission for Normal and Low Ambient Temperatures Conditions 30th International Symposium on Automotive Technology & Automation Florence, Italy June 97
- Ahlvik, P. Erlandsson, L. Laveskog, A. The Influence of Block Heaters on the Emissions from Gasoline Fueled Cars with Varying Emission Control Technology at Low Ambient Temperatures SAE Technical Paper Series 970747
- Larson, R.E. Vehicle Emission Characteristics Under Cold Ambient Conditions SAE Technical Paper Series 890021
- Code of Federal Regulations, Protection of Environment, Title 40, Parts 86 July 1 1995 U.S. Government Printing Office Washington 1995
- Berg, W. 25 - 26 April 1996 1996
- Laurikko, J. Erlandsson, L. Abrahamsson, R. Exhaust Emission in Cold Ambient Conditions: Considerations for a European Test Procedure SAE Technical Paper Series 950929
- Hördegen, H. 4 - 5 Mai 1995 1995
- Greening, P. The Future of European Emission Regulations Conference “Engine and Environment” AVL List GmbH Graz, Austria 1997