This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Testing of the Hybrid III Lower Extremity for Computational Model Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experimental testing was performed to provide input data for a new, multi-body computer model of the Hybrid III lower extremity, with the 30 degree dorsiflexion ankle. The leg was disassembled into its components to mass, geometric, and inertial properties for each segment. Stiffness and damping coefficients were measured for the hip, leg, foot, and ankle. Joint rotational and translational properties were measured for the knee and ankle. To characterize interactions of the foot with the footwell, flexion and compression tests of the foot were conducted. The lower extremity was segmented at the joint and load cell locations, to permit rigid body dynamics codes to compute the forces at these locations for comparison to test data and for calculation of injury criteria.
- J. A. Pellettiere - University of Virginia, Automobile Safety Laboratory
- E. M. Sieveka - University of Virginia, Automobile Safety Laboratory
- J. R. Crandall - University of Virginia, Automobile Safety Laboratory
- W. D. Pilkey - University of Virginia, Automobile Safety Laboratory
- M. Tanahashi - Honda Research and Development
- G. Weisenfeld - Honda Research and Development
CitationPellettiere, J., Sieveka, E., Crandall, J., Pilkey, W. et al., "Experimental Testing of the Hybrid III Lower Extremity for Computational Model Development," SAE Technical Paper 980363, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980363.
- Begeman, Paul C. Prasad Priya “Human Ankle Impact Response in Dorsiflexion” SAE 902308 1990
- Crandall, J. R. Portier, L. Petit, P. Hall, G. W. Klopp, G.S. Bass, C. R. Hurwitz, S. Trosseille, X. Tarriere, C. Pilkey, W. D. Lavaste, F. Lassau, M. “Biomechanical Response and Physical Properties of the Leg, Foot, and Ankle” Proc. of 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA Nov. 1996
- Kaleps, I. White, R.P. Beecher, R.M. Whitestone, J. Obergefell, L.A. Measurement of Hybrd III Dummy Properties and Analytical Simulation Data Base Development
- Kaleps, I. Whitestone, J. Hybrid III Geometrical and Inertial Properties SAE paper 880638
- Sieveka, E.M. Pellettiere, J.A. Crandall, J.R. Pilkey, W.D. Tanahashi, M. Weisenfeld, G., H. Takahashi, Y. Okamoto, Y. A New cVS/ATB Hybrid III Model for Lower Extremity Studies: Devlopment and Validation SAE Paper 98B-75
- Self, B.P. Spittle, E.K. Kaleps, I. Accuracy and Repeatability of the Standard Automated Mass Properties System