This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Bumper Styling and Engineering Parameters to Reduce Pedestrian Leg Injuries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The European Commission is proposing legislation aimed at reducing the severity of injuries sustained by pedestrians in the event of an impact with the front-end of a motor vehicle. One aspect of this proposed legislation is reducing the pedestrian's leg injuries due to contact with the bumper and frontal surfaces of a vehicle, assessed using a ‘pedestrian leg impact device,’ or ‘leg-form.’
This proposed legislation presents the challenge of designing a bumper system which achieves the required performance in the leg-form impact-without sacrificing the bumper's primary function of vehicle protection during low-speed impacts. The first step in meeting this challenge is to understand what effects the front-end geometry and stiffness have on the leg-form impact test results. These results will then need to be compared to low-speed impact performance to assess if the two requirements are compatible.
This paper describes an investigation-using concept Finite Element models and a front-end variable geometry vehicle test buck-of the styling and engineering tradeoffs for a pedestrian safe bumper system.
CitationSchuster, P. and Staines, B., "Determination of Bumper Styling and Engineering Parameters to Reduce Pedestrian Leg Injuries," SAE Technical Paper 980361, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980361.
- Harris, J. Lawrence, G. L. Hardy, B. “Test Methods to Evaluate the Protection Afforded to Pedestrians by Cars.” Transport Road Research Laboratories (TRRL) document WP/VS/216 July 1991
- “Draft Proposal for a European Parliament and Council Directive Relating to the Protection of Pedestrians and Other Road Users in the Event of a Collision with a Motor Vehicle.” European Commission document III/5021/96 EN February 7 1996
- Cesari, D. Alonzo, F. Matyjewski, M. “Subsystem Test for Pedestrian Lower Leg and Knee Protection.” 1991 ESV Conference Paper # S3-O-08
- Lawrence, G.J.L. Hardy, B.J. Harris, J. “Bonnet Leading Edge Sub-System Test for Cars to Assess Protection for Pedestrians.” 1991 ESV Conference
- Glaeser, K.-P. “Development of a Head Impact Test Procedure for Pedestrian Protection.” 1991 ESV Conference Paper # S3-O-07
- Cesari, D. Bouquet, R. Caire, Y. Bermond, F. “Protection of Pedestrians Against Leg Injuries.” 1994 ESV Conference Paper # 94-S7-O-02
- Sakurai, M. Kobayashi, K. Ono, K. Sasaki, A. “Evaluation Of Pedestrian Protection Test Procedure In Japan-Influence Of Upper Body Mass On Leg Impact Test.” 1994 ESV Conference Paper # 94-S7-O-01
- Ishikawa, H. Yamazaki, K. Ono, K. Sasaki, A. “Current Situation of Pedestrian Accidents and Research into Pedestrian Protection in Japan.” 1991 ESV Conference Paper # S3-O-05
- Harris, J. “Proposals for Test Methods to Evaluate Pedestrian Protection for Cars.” 1991 ESV Conference Paper # S3-O-06
- Aldman, B. Kajzer, J. Anderlind, T. Malmqvist, M. Mellander, H. Turbell, T. “Load Transfer from the Striking Vehicle in Side and Pedestrian Impacts.” 1985 ESV Conference
- Cesari, D. Cavallero, C. Cassan, F. Moffatt, C. “Interaction Between Human Leg and Car Bumper in Pedestrian Tests.” 1988 IRCOBI Conference
- Ishikawa, J. Kajzer, J. Ono, K. Sakurai, M. “Simulation of car impact to pedestrian lower extremity: Influence of different car-front shapes and dummy parameters on test results.” 1992 IRCOBI Conference
- Fowler, J. Harris, J. “Practical Vehicle Design for Pedestrian Protection.” 1982 ESV Conference
- Dickison, M. “Development Of Passenger Cars To Minimize Pedestrian Injuries.” 1996 SAE Conference Paper # 960098
- Kajzer, J. Aldman, B. Mellander, H. Planath, I. Jonasson, K. “Bumper System Evaluation Using an Experimental Pedestrian Dummy.” 1989 ESV Conference
- Nagatomi, K. Akiyama, A. Kobayashi, T. “Bumper Structure for Pedestrian Protection.” 1996 ESV Conference Paper # xxx
- “Regulation # 42: Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Vehicles With Regard to Their Front and Rear Protective Devices (Bumpers, etc.).” United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) Inland Transport Committee Agreement March 24 1980
- Faerber, E. “Legform impact tests to evaluate the TRL legform impactor for the EEVC WG10 test procedure for car related pedestrian protection.” BASt report Bergisch Gladbach December 1995