This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Loading on Vehicle Handling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper explores the effects of changes in vehicle loading on vehicle inertial properties (center-of-gravity location and moments of inertia values) and handling responses. The motivation for the work is to gain better understanding of the importance vehicle loading has in regard to vehicle safety.
A computer simulation is used to predict the understeer changes for three different vehicles under three loading conditions. An extension of this loading study includes the effects of moving occupants, which are modeled for inclusion in the simulation. A two-mass model for occupants/cargo, with lateral translational and rotational degrees of freedom, has been developed and is included in the full vehicle model. Using the simulation, the effects that moving occupants have on vehicle dynamics are studied.
CitationHeydinger, G., Bixel, R., Durisek, N., Yu, E. et al., "Effects of Loading on Vehicle Handling," SAE Technical Paper 980228, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980228.
- Heydinger, G.J. Durisek, N.J. Coovert, D.A. Guenther, D.A. Novak, S.J. “The Design of a Vehicle Inertia Measurement Facility,” SAE Paper 950309 February 1995
- Bixel, R.A. Heydinger, G.J. Durisek, N.J. Guenther, D.A. Novak, S.J. “Developments in Vehicle Center of Gravity and Inertial Parameter Estimation and Measurement,” SAE Paper 950356 February 1995
- Heydinger, G.J. Durisek, N.J. Coovert, D.A. Lawrence, R.D. Nowjack, J.A. Guenther, D.A. “An Overview of a Vehicle Inertia Measurement Facility,” 27 th International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation ISATA Paper 94SF034 October 1994
- Yu, Enyu A Study of the Effects of Loading on Vehicle Inertia Properties and Handling The Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio March 1996
- Allen, R. W. Szostak, H. T. Klyde, D. H. Rosenthal, T. J. Owens, K. J. “Vehicle Dynamic Stability and Rollover,” NHTSA Final Report DOT-HS-807-956 June 1992
- Allen, R. W. Rosenthal, T. J. Chrstos, J. P. “Applying Vehicle Dynamic Analysis and Visualization to Roadway and Roadside Studies,” STI Draft Report 1301-1 November 1997