This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing for Occupant Rollover Protection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Past rollover condition testing reported by the author utilized experimental seat belts, a rigid seat and a sitting pelvis Hybrid III mannequin or volunteer to observe dynamic vertical excursion. Other testing in a rollover condition utilized a rigid mannequin molded from a Hybrid III, sitting in a production vehicle restraint system. Application of rigid device in the test allows for simplification of the problem under study, yet limitations in the interpretation of the results. A third test program was conducted combining the rigid device of prior testing into one test, thereby allowing further scientific inference as to the affect of the seat belt restraint system in rollover conditions. Results show that an important factor in the extent of occupant vertical excursion is the kinematics and compliance of the occupant. Seat belts, in particular for this study, the lap belt, play a significant role in conjunction with other components of the motor vehicle in limiting the extent of occupant displacement in rollover conditions.
CitationArndt, M., "Testing for Occupant Rollover Protection," SAE Technical Paper 980213, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980213.
- Huelke, D. F. Lawson, T. E. Scott, R. Marsh, J. C. “The Effectiveness of Seat Belt Systems in Frontal and Rollover Crashes.” SAE 770148 1977
- Huelke, D. F. Lawson T. E. Marsh, J. C. “Injuries, Restraints and Vehicle Factors in Rollover Car Crashes.” Accident Analysis and Prevention 9 93 107 1977
- Evans, L. “Restraint Effectiveness, Occupant Ejection from Cars, and Fatality Reductions.” General Motors Research Laboratories September 1 1988
- Moffatt, E. A. Padmanaban, J. “The Relationship Between Vehicle Roof Strength and Occupant Injury in Rollover Crash Data.” 39th Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 245 267 October 16-18 1995
- Bahling, G. S. Bundorf, R. T. Kaspzyk, G. S. Moffatt, E. A. Orlowski, K. F. Stocke, J. E. “Rollover and Drop Tests - The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics Using Belted Dummies.” Thirty-fourth Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, SAE P-236 101 112 November 4-7 1990
- Arndt, M. W. Mowry, G. A. Dickerson, C. P. “Evaluation of Experimental Restraints in Rollover Conditions.” 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, SAE P-299 101 110 November 8-10 1995
- Arndt, M.W. Mowry, G.A. Baray, Pete E. Clark, David A. “The Development of a Method for Determining Effective Slack in Motor vehicle Restraint Systems for Rollover Protection,” SAE 970781 February 24-27 1997