This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
AFR Control on a Single Cylinder Engine Using the Ionization Current
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Over the years numerous researchers have suggested that the ionization current signal carries within it combustion relevant information. The possibility of using this signal for diagnostics and control provides motivation for continued research in this area. To be able to use the ion current signal for feedback control a reliable estimate of some combustion related parameter is necessary and therein lies the difficulty. Given the nature of the ion current signal this is not a trivial task. Fei An et al.  employed PCA for feature extraction and then used these feature vectors to design a neural network based classifier for the estimation of air to fuel ratio (AFR). Although the classifier predicted AFR with sufficient reliability, a major draw back was that the ion current signals used for prediction were averaged signals thus precluding a cycle to cycle estimate of AFR. The thrust of this research was to find ways of using the ion current signal for AFR control on a single cylinder methane fueled spark ignition engine.
CitationUpadhyay, D. and Rizzoni, G., "AFR Control on a Single Cylinder Engine Using the Ionization Current," SAE Technical Paper 980203, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980203.
- An Fei Rizzoni Giorgio Upadhyay Devesh “Combustion Diagnostics in Methane-Fueled SI Engines using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Probe” SAE Paper No. 970033 1997
- Powell J. D. “Engine Control Using Cylinder Pressure: Past, Present, and Future” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurements and Control 115 June 1993
- Eriksson Lars Nielsen Lars Nytomt Jan “Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation” SAE paper No. 960045 1996
- Auzins John Johansson Hasse Nytomt Jan “Ion-gap Sense in Misfire Detection, Knock and Engine Control” SAE paper No. 950004 1995
- Lee Anson Pyko Jan S. “Engine Misfire Detection by Ionization Current Monitoring” SAE paper No. 950003 1995
- Shimasaki Yuichi Kanehiro Masaki Maruyama Shigeru Baba Shigeki Hisaki Takashi Miyata Shigeru “Spark plug voltage analysis for monitoring combustion in an internal combustion engine” SAE paper No. 930461 1993
- Miyata Shigeru Ito Yasuo Shimasaki Yuichi “Flame Ion Density measurement Using Spark Plug Voltage Analysis” SAE paper No. 9300462 1993
- Krieger R. Borman G. “The computation of apparent heat release for internal combustion engines”
- Grimm B. Johnson R. “Review of simple heat release computations” SAE paper No. 900445 1990
- Leisenring K.C. et al “Methods for Internal Combustion Engine Feedback Control during cold start” SAE paper no. 950842 1995