This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of Emissions and Fuel Economy Requirements on Fuel Injection System and Noise of HD Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Despite the increasingly stringent emissions legislation, users and owners of commercial diesel vehicles are continually demanding that each new engine generation is more economical than the previous one. This is especially important for commercial vehicles where the majority of engines are in the 1-2ltr./cyl. class.
The demands are being reflected in new engine designs with lower friction and improved structural stiffness, together with fuel systems having increased pressure capability, higher spill rates, injection rate shaping and advanced control features.
These fuel system requirements have led to a variety of new fuel injection systems and in the search for increased injection pressure these fuel systems have placed greater demands on the engine, especially in areas such as the cylinder head and fuel system drive, sometimes with adverse effects on the combustion and fuel injection system induced mechanical noise.
This paper assesses the conflict between NOx, particulates and fuel economy and the demands placed on combustion systems, fuel injection systems and noise. It also looks at various fuel injection systems under development and their effects on engine noise levels and noise quality.
CitationBeidl, C., Gill, D., Cartellieri, W., and Rust, A., "The Impact of Emissions and Fuel Economy Requirements on Fuel Injection System and Noise of HD Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 980176, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980176.
- Zelenka, P. Aufinger H. Reczek, W. Cartellieri, W. Cooled EGR - A Key Technology for Future Efficient HD Diesels SAE Congress and Exhibition Detroit February 1998
- Gill, D.W. Herzog, P.L. Fuel Injection Equipment Requirements for Low Emissions DI Diesel Engines SAE 933373 International Congress on Diesel Engines Paris 14-15 Apr. 1993
- Rust, A. Brandl, F. Indicating Technology as a Part of the Noise Analysis of Combustion Engines First Darmstädter Indicating Symposium Darmstadt May 1994
- Rust, A. Thien, G.E. Effect of Transient Conditions on Combustion Noise of NA-DI Diesel Engines SAE 870989 , Noise & Vibration Conference Traverse City 28-30 April 1987
- Leipold, F. Bergmann, H. Development Stages for Reducing Noise Emissions of the New OM 904 LA Commercial Vehicle Diesel Engine AVL-Conference “Engine and Environment” Graz Sept. 1996
- Bergmann, H. Scherer, F. Osterwald, H. The Combustion Development of the New OM 904 LA Diesel Engine of Mercedes Benz Commercial Vehicles MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 57 1996 4 April 1996
- Beidl, C.V. Rust, A. Meeting Future Demands for Quieter Commercial Powertrain Systems SAE 972042 Noise & Vibration Conference Traverse City 20-22 May 1997
- Fingerhut, H.-P. From Research to Serial Manufacture: MAN SILENT Trucks - Present and Future Requirements AVL-Conference “Engine and Environment” Graz Sept. 1996
- Miyashita, N. Strategy of Engine Noise Reduction for Trucks and Buses AVL-Conference “Engine and Environment” Graz Sept. 1996
- Moser, F.X. Spessert, B. Haller, H. Possibilities of Noise Reduction in Commercial and Industrial Diesel Engines AVL-Conference “Engine and Environment” Graz Sept. 1996
- Schilling S. Wilhelm M. Injection Pump Induced Diesel Engine Noise MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 56 1995
- Rainer, G.Ph. Engine and Vehicle Acoustics - Currently Applied and Future Computational Methods AVL-Conference “Engine and Environment” Graz Sept. 1996
- Hellinger, W. Raffel, H.Ch. Rainer, G.Ph. Numerical Methods to Calculate Gear Transmission Noise SAE 971965 Noise & Vibration Conference Traverse City 20-22 May 1997
- Beidl, C.V. Stücklschwaiger, W. Application of the AVL-Annoyance Index for Engine Noise Quality Development EAA-European Acoustics Association Antwerp March 1996
- Herzog, P. Status und Potential der Einspritzraten-Verlaufsformung an schnellaufenden Dieselmotoren (Status and Potential of shaping injection rate of HSDI Diesel Engines) MTZ 57 12 Dec. 1996
- Gill A.P. Design Choices for 1990's Low Emission Diesel Engines SAE 880350 1988
- Ishiwata, H. Okubo, H. A New Series of Timing and Injection Rate Control Systems - ADTICS and P-Tics SAE 880491 1988
- Omori, T. Fujisawa, H. Miyaki, M. New Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection System ECD-U2 for Clean Diesel Engines AVL-Conference “Engine and Environment” Graz Sept. 1992
- Aufinger, H. Cichocki, R. Challenges To Meet Heavy Duty Diesel Engine EURO II And US 1998 Emission Regulations SAE 931637 SAE Brasil Sao Paolo October 1993