This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel-Spray/Charge-Motion Interaction within the Cylinder of a Direct-Injected, 4-Valve, SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mixture preparation process was investigated in a direct-injected, 4-valve, SI engine under motored conditions. The interaction between the high-pressure fuel jet and the intake air-flow was observed. Laser-sheet droplet imaging was used to visualize the in-cylinder droplet distributions, and a single-component LDV system was used to measure in-cylinder velocities. The fuel spray was visualized with the engine motored at 1500 and 750 rpm, and with the engine stopped. It was observed that the shape of the fuel spray was distorted by the in-cylinder air motion generated by the intake air flow, and that this effect became more pronounced with increasing engine speed. Velocity measurements were made at five locations on the symmetry plane of the cylinder, with the engine motored at 750 rpm. Comparison of these measurements with, and without, injection revealed that the in-cylinder charge motion was significantly altered by the injection event. After injection, droplets were preferentially transported towards the exhaust side of the cylinder, rather than towards the intake side. This study suggests that the fuel-spray and in-cylinder charge motion are coupled and that it is not possible to accurately model one in the absence of the other.
CitationStanglmaier, R., Hall, M., and Matthews, R., "Fuel-Spray/Charge-Motion Interaction within the Cylinder of a Direct-Injected, 4-Valve, SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 980155, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980155.
- Anderson, R. W., Brehob D. D., Yang J., Vallance J. K., and Whiteaker R. M. (1996), “Understanding the Thermodynamics of Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) Combustion Systems: An Analytical and Experimental Investigation,” SAE Paper 962018.
- Fraidl, G. K., Piock W. F., and Wirth M. (1996), “Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems,” SAE Paper 960465.
- Han, Z., Reitz R. D., Claybaker P. J., Rutland C. J., Yang J., and Anderson R. W. (1996), “Modeling the Effects of Intake Flow Structures on Fuel/Air Mixing in a Direct-Injected Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 961192
- Han, Z., Reitz R. D., Yang J., and Anderson R. W. (1997a), “Effects of Injection Timing on Air-Fuel Mixing in a Direct- Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 970625
- Han, Z., Fan L., and Reitz R. D. (1997b), “Multidimensional Modeling of Spray Atomization and Air-Fuel Mixing in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 970884
- Harada, J., Tomodita T., Mizuno H., Mashiki Z., and Ito Y. (1997), “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Paper 970540.
- Iwamoto, Y., Noma K., Yamauchi T., and Nakayama O. (1997), “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Paper 970541.
- Jackson, N. S., Stokes J., Whitaker P. A., and Lake T. H. (1997), “Stratified and Homogeneous Operation of the Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - High Power with Low Fuel Consumption and Emissions,” SAE Paper 970543.
- Karl, G., Kemmler R., Bargende M., and Abthoff J. (1997), “Analysis of a Direct Injected Gasoline Engine,” SAE Paper 970624
- Kume, T., Iwamoto Y., Iida K., Murakami M., Akishino K., and Ando H. (1996), “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine,” SAE Paper 960600.
- Miok, J., Huh K. Y., and Noh S. H. (1997), “Numerical Prediction of Charge Distribution in a Lean Burn Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Paper 970626.
- Naitoh, K., and Takagi Y. (1996), “A Lagrangian Model of Conical Fuel Sprays for Direct Injection SI Engines,” SAE Paper 962017.
- Najt, P. (1997), General Motors Corp., personal communication.
- Salters, D., Williams P., Grieg A., and Brehob D. (1996), “Fuel Spray Characterization within an Optically Accessed Gasoline Direct Injection Engine using a CCD Imaging System,” SAE Paper 961149.
- Stanglmaier, R. H., Hall M. J., and Matthews R. D. (1997), “In-Cylinder Fuel Transport During the First Cranking Cycles in a Port Injected 4-Valve Engine,” SAE Paper 970043.
- Stanglmaier, R. H. (1997), “Fuel Transport, Mixture Preparation, and Hydrocarbon Emissions from Gasoline-Fueled Spark-Ignition Engines,” Ph.D. Dissertation, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin.
- Tomoda, T., Sasaki S., Sawada D., Saito A., and Sami H. (1997), “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - Study of Stratified Mixture Formation,” SAE Paper 970539.
- Yamauchi, T., and Wakisaka T. (1996), “Computation of the Hollow-Cone Sprays of a High-Pressure Swirl Injector for a Gasoline Direct-Injection SI Engine,” SAE Paper 96016.
- Zhao, F.-Q., Liu Y., Yoo J. H., and Lai M. C. (1996), “Spray Dynamics High Pressure Fuel Injectors for DI Gasoline Engines,” SAE Paper 961925.
- Zhao, F. -Q., Lai M. -C., and Harrington D. (1997), “A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct-Injected Gasoline Engines,” SAE Paper 970627.
- zur Loye, A. O., “A Software-Based Controller for Generation of Synchronized Pulses for Use with Rotating Machinery,” Sandia National Laboratories Unlimited Release SAND89-8247, 1989.