This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Attainment of Low Fuel Consumption High Output Power and Low Exhaust Emissions in Direct Injection SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes simultaneous attainment in improving fuel consumption, output power and reducing HC emissions with a direct injection S.I. engine newly developed in Nissan.
Straight intake port is adopted to increase discharge coefficient under WOT operation and horizontal swirl flow is generated by a swirl control valve to provide stable stratified charge combustion under part load conditions. As a result, fuel consumption is reduced by more than 20% and power output is improved by approximately 10%. Moreover, unburned HC is reduced by equivalently 30% in engine cold start condition. An application of diagnostic and numerical simulation tools to investigate and optimize various factors are also introduced.
CitationTakagi, Y., Itoh, T., Muranaka, S., Iiyama, A. et al., "Simultaneous Attainment of Low Fuel Consumption High Output Power and Low Exhaust Emissions in Direct Injection SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 980149, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980149.
- Barber E. M. Reynolds B. Tierney W. T. “Elimination of Combustion Knock-TEXACO Combustion Process” 5 1 Jan. SAE Quarterly Trans. 1951
- Scussel A. J. Simko A. O. Wade W. R. “The Ford PROCO Engine Update” SAE Paper 780699 1978
- Lancaster D. R. “Diagnostic Investigation of Hydrocabon Emissions From a Direct Injection Stratified Charge Engine with Early Injection” I Mech E C379/80 1980
- Itoh, T. Kakuho A. Hishinuma H. Urushihara T. Takagi Y. Horie K. Asano M. Ogata E. Yamashita T. “Development of New Compound Fluid and Fluorescent Tracer Combination for Use with Laser Induced Fluorescence” SAE Trans. 952465 1995
- Urushihara T. Murayama T. Takagi Y. Lee K. “Turbulence and Cycle-by-Cycle Variation of Mean Velocity Generated by Swirl and Tumble Flow and Their Effects on Combustion” SAE Trans. 950813 1995
- Amsden A. A. Ramshaw J. D. O'Rourke P.J. “KIVA: A Computer Program for Two-and Three-Dimensional Fluid Flows with Chemical Reactions and Fuel Sprays” Los Alamos National Laboratory LA-10245-MS 1985
- Naitoh K. Takagi Y. “Synthesized Spheroid Particle(SSP) Method for Calculating Spray Phenomena in Direct-Injection SI Engines” SAE. Trans. 962017 1996
- Naitoh K. Takagi Y. Kokita H. Kuwahara K. “Numerical Prediction of Fuel Secondary Atomization Behavior in SI Engine Based on the Oval-Parabola Trajectories(OPT) Model” SAE Trans. 940526 1994
- Naitoh K. Fujii H. Urushihara T. Takagi Y. Kuwahara K. “Numerical Simulation of the Detailed Flow in Engine Port and Cylinders” SAE Trans. 900256 1990
- Urushihara T. Nakada T. Kakuhou A. Takagi Y. “Effects of Swirl/Tumble Motion on In-Cylinder Mixture Formation in a Lean-Burn Engine” SAE Trans. 961994 1996