This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emerging Technologies in RIM Fascia - A Focus on Lightweighting and Downgauging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to address the industry needs for value engineering and to continually improve the cost competitive position of reaction injection molded (RIM) automotive fascia, two technologies were investigated which can reduce part cost and maintain the key functional and stylistic properties necessary for a quality bumper cover. First, a review of how the addition of hollow glass microspheres into the polymer matrix is now being used in production. This microsphere addition has reduced both part weight and cost, and improved the process window in production to allow for improvements in defect rates, all with a negligible effect on physical properties and functional performance. Second, the paper reviews the validation studies to date on the concept of downgauging, or thin-walling, a RIM fascia. The data include a physical property review of the downgauged materials, and commentary on the effect that filler type has upon performance in these materials.
|Technical Paper||Safety Protected Electrochromic Rearview Mirrors|
|Journal Article||Experimental Studies on Viscoelasticity of Film Materials in Laminated Glass Sheets|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Paint and Trim Code Location|
CitationGoldhawk, M., Nichols-Fauth, E., and Trieu, K., "Emerging Technologies in RIM Fascia - A Focus on Lightweighting and Downgauging," SAE Technical Paper 980104, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980104.
- Morgan, R. Nemedy, L. Peterson, D. Yester, S. “Recycling RIM Polymers Into Automotive Fascia” SAE Congress Paper No. 940169 Detroit 1994
- Vitkuske, J. Elder, K. Peterson, D. Zerafa, G. Mecozzi, J. Smith, D. Coke, B. “Advancements in RRIM Fascia Application Provide Cost Competitiveness While Meeting Performance Requirements” SAE Congress Paper No. 970482 Detroit 1997
- Allen, M. Beazley, A. Hutchinson, D. Conix Canada 1996 “Process for the Production of Lightweight Polyurethane Moldings”
- Sinopoli, D. “Density Reduction in Automotive Polyurethane RIM Fascias” Polyurethanes World Congress Proceedings Amsterdam 1997
- Berg, J. “Lightweight Reaction Injection Molded Polyurethane for Automotive Fascia” SAE Congress Paper No. 950552 Detroit 1995
- Strand, N.S. “For RIM - A Filler that Acts Like a Reinforcment” Plas. Eng. Jan. 1990 35 37
- James, A.J. Dowen, J.A. Rodriguez, M.E. “Field Evaluation of Down-Gauged High Performance RIM Fascia Polymers” SAE Congress Paper No. 930539 Detroit 1993
- Schrott, B.D. Bennett, K.F. “Downgauging with High Performance Filled RIM Polymers - Lowering Fascia Cost and Improving Quality” SAE Congress Paper No. 920528 Detroit 1992