This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical Study of Thixoforming Magnesium Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays the use of magnesium automotive engineering has become an essential way for weight reduction. The change from conventional materials, such as zinc alloys, to lighter weight materials, such as magnesium alloys, is realizable at commercially competitive rates. This requires lightweight solutions, optimized design and advanced manufacturing processes. The goal of this study is to validate the thixocasting process for a part of a wiper system.
This paper summarizes the first mechanical tests carried out on a wiper part in AZ91 magnesium alloy by thixocasting and traditional casting process. The semi-solid die casting process enables to improve the mechanical behavior. To explain these results, the effects of microstructure on thermal properties are investigated and microstructural examination is also performed using optical microscope and scanning electronic microscope (SEM).
CitationLisiecki, B. and Collot, J., "Mechanical Study of Thixoforming Magnesium Parts," SAE Technical Paper 980085, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980085.
- Mayer H. Lipowsky Rosch R. Zettl B. Papakyriacou M Tschegg S.E. Fatigue properties of die cast magnesium alloys Magnesium 97 The first Israeli International Conference- on Magnesium Science & Technology 10-12 November 1997 Dead Sea, Israel
- Busk R.S. Method of making thixotropic materials sept. 22 1987
- Collot J. Method and apparatus for casting metal in thixotropic state April 16 1985
- Collot J 1992
- Collot J. Die casting by THIXΘMAG ® pilot of three types of magnesium feedstocks obtained by stir casting (Gircast) Pressure ingots Die casting (P.I.D.) and Extrusion. Magnesium- 97. The first Israeli International Conference on Magnesium- Science & Technology 10-12 November 1997 Dead Sea, Israel
- Collot J. et al Semi solid processing of magnesium alloys Second international conference on semi solid processing of alloys MIT Cambridge Massachusetts USA 11 21 10- 12 June 1992
- Bruneau G. Collot J. Production of magnesium alloy feedstock for thixocasting by P.I.D. process Third international conference on semi-solid processing of alloys and composites Tokyo Japan June 13-15 225 234 1994
- Collot J. 1992
- Collot J. Survey of the technologies of preparation and shaping of semi-solid alloys Application to magnesium alloys International Conference Aluminium alloys: New process technologies 3-4 Ravenna Italy 13 30 3-4 June 1993
- Collot J. Hervieu O. Semi-solid pressure die casting for automotive parts, application to Magnesium alloys Materials- for lean weight vehicles Manufacturing center, University- of Warwick 27-28 November 1995 U.K.
- Hervieu O. Collot J. Die casting of light metal in the semisolid- state study of the P.I.D. process 4th international conference- on semi-solid processing of alloys and composites University of Sheffield England 19 21 June 1996
- Hervieu O. Collot J. Injection of Magnesium alloys in the semi-solid state A secure and adaptable process within everyone's automotive Industry reach, European Conference- on Magnesium alloys Clermond Ferrand 29-30 October 1996
- Nussbaum, A.I. 54 5 6 June 1996
- Collot J. Greim O An optimized method for preheating of magnesium and aluminium feedstocks before Die-Casting by THIXΘMAG ® process with calcoMAG software 5 th International Conference Semi-solid Processing of alloys and composites June 23-25 1998 Colorado USA
- Collot J. Roehr P. 1997
- Collot J. The advantages of induction heating in industrial thixocasting processing of magnesium and aluminium alloys International Congress Electromagnetic Processing of Materials CNIT Paris 26-29 May 1997