This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Reflector Optics for Visually Aimable Lowbeam Head Lamps
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the optical design of motor vehicle head lamps using the new federal visual optical aim requirements. Methodology for using filament images from a head lamp reflector to create the required sharp gradient for visual aimable lamps is presented. The paper discusses hardware tolerance factors which would degrade a sharp cut-off, and methods are reviewed for accounting for and designing robustness against the tolerance factors. Hardware results are shown for designs using the techniques described in the paper.
CitationKreysar, D., Coon, M., and Wang, B., "Design of Reflector Optics for Visually Aimable Lowbeam Head Lamps," SAE Technical Paper 980002, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980002.
- Federal Register 62 46 March 10 1997 10710 10730
- Wang B. Kreysar, D. Jiao, J. “Design Strategy for Free-Form Reflector Head Lamp Using High Intensity Discharge Light Source” SAE Technical Paper 970902 1997
- Donohue, R. J. Joseph, J. W. “Computer Design of Automotive Lamps with Faceted Reflectors” Journal of IES October 1972
- Fujita, Takeshige Ichihara, Takeo Qyama, Hiroo “Development of MR (Multi Reflector) Headlamp(Headlamp with Slant angle of 60 Degree, Contributable to Future Vehichle Body Styling)” SAE Technical Paper 870064 1987
- Ravier, Jean-Paul Dorleans, Guy Levilain, Alain “Complex Surface Reflector Technology Foglamp Application” SAE Technical Paper 910825 1991
- Nakata, Yutaka “Multi B-Spline surface Reflector Optimized with Neural Network” SAE Technical Paper 940638 1994
- Hogrefe, H. Neumann, R. “Application of Free Form Reflectors in Modern Headlamp systems” SAE Technical Paper 950593 1995
- Brandenburg, W. “The Replacement of Parabolic Reflectors by ‘Free Form’ Reflectors” SAE Technical Paper 960926 1996
- Treptau, Jefferies P. Jiao, Jianzhong Alexander, Ken “high Performance Fog Lamps: Design Strategies and Proper Usage” SAE Technical Paper 960928 1996
- Kreysar, D. Wang B. Biermann, G. “Correlation Between Simulation and Result for Plastic Automotive Head Lamp Optics,” Proceedings of the International Society for Optical Engineering - Optical Engineer Midwest 1995 Chicago 2622 165 174 1995