This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Human Engineering for SOFIA
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the design research for Human Engineering to modify a 747SP aircraft for the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy. It summarizes the work of the SOFIA Layout of Personnel Accommodations (LOPA) Team at NASA-Ames Research Center in developing the specifications and project documents to define the mission crew work areas, including consoles, equipment racks, and astronomer/experimenter work areas and facilities. It covers several key areas, including the Project's assumptions about the SOFIA personnel complement and the aircraft's operational scenarios, based upon a systematic comparison to the SOFIA's predecessor, the Kuiper Airborne Observatory (KAO), a modified C-141.
The LOPA Team analyzed these complex assumptions, requirements and goals for improved Mission crew productivity to develop a Human Engineering Design Guideline. This Human Engineering Guideline follows a Crew-Centered Design Philosophy that takes four perspectives: crew members as occupants, crew members as individual operators, crew members as leaders, and crew as team members. This Guideline evaluates the role of automation in crew productivity. It suggests verification metrics through the design, development, and pre-operations phases of the SOFIA Program.
A key product of the LOPA Team activity was to develop several candidate layouts of the floor plan and console arrangements. These layouts derived from four considerations: LOPA requirements, physical and operational constraints upon the LOPA design, an architectural adjacency analysis, and a SOFIA-specific set of architectural design guidelines.
|Technical Paper||Design Research Issues for an Interplanetary Habitat|
|Technical Paper||Corporate Aviation on the Leading Edge: Systemic Implementation of Macro-human Factors in Aviation Maintenance|
CitationCohen, M., "Human Engineering for SOFIA," SAE Technical Paper 975632, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/975632.
SAE 1997 Transactions - Journal of Aerospace
Number: V106-1; Published: 1998-09-15
Number: V106-1; Published: 1998-09-15
- Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 United States Congress
- Billings, Charles. E. 1991 August Human-Centered Aircraft Automation: A Concept and Guidelines , Moffett Field CA Ames Research Center
- Callendar, J. H. 1992 Time Saver Standards for Architectural Design Data New York NY John Wiley
- Chappell, S. L. 1991 “Training and cockpit design to promote expert performance” Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Aviation Psychology , Columbus, OH Ohio State University
- Connell, L. Graeber R. C. Schreiber, H. 1987 “Aircrew Sleep and Fatigue in Long-haul Flight Operations,” Proceedings of the 49th Flight Safety Foundation International Air Safety Seminar
- Degani, A. Wiener, E. L. 1990 Human Factors of Flight-Deck Checklists: The Normal Checklist , Moffett Field, CA NASA Ames Research Center
- Dhillon, B. S. 1986 Human Reliability with Human Factors Toronto, Ontario, Canada Pergamon Press
- Donchin, E. Hart, S. G. Hartzell, E. J. 1987 Workshop on Workload and Training, an Examination of Their Interactions Moffett Field, CA NASA Ames Research Center
- Ellis, S. R. Kaiser, M. K. Grunwald, A. J. 1993 Pictorial Communication in Virtual and Real Environments Washington, DC Taylor & Francis, Ltd.
- Endsley, M.R. 1994 “Situation Awareness in Dynamic Human Decision making: Theory,” Gilson Garland Koonce 1994 Situational Awareness in Complex Systems : Proceedings of the Center for Applied Human Factors in Aviation Conference Orlando, FL Feb. 1-3 1993 Daytona Beach FL Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Press
- Ginnett, R. C. 1993 Crew Resource Management New York, NY Academic Press
- Gold, D.R. Rogacz, S. Bock, N. Tosteson, T. D. Baum, T. M. Speizer, F. E. Cziesler, C. A. 1992 July “Rotating Shift Work, Sleep and Accidents Related to Sleepiness in Hospital Nurses,” American Journal of Public Health 82 7
- Kanki, B. G. Foushee, H. C. 1990 “Crew factors in the aerospace workplace,” Oskamp S. Spacapan S. People's Reactions to Technology: Computers, Robots, and Space . Newbury Park, CA Sage
- Kanki, B. 1991 Maintenance Team Performance and Information Flow in Shuttle Processing Operations AIAA/NASA/FAA/HFS Conference Challenges in Aviation Human Factors: The National Plan Vienna, VA
- Kramer, Gregory 1994 Auditory Displays: Sonification, Audification and Auditory Interfaces Santa Fe Institute Series Studies in Complexity Addison Wellsley
- Lieberman, P. Protopapas, A. Reed, E. Youngs, J. Kanki., B. 1994 “Cognitive Defects at Altitude,” Nature 372 6504 325
- Malin, J. T. Schreckenghost, D. L. Woods, D. D. Potter, S. S. Johannessen, L. Holloway, M. Forbus, K. D. 1991 September Making Intelligent Systems Team Players: Case Studies and Design Issues, Volume 1: Human-Computer Interaction Design Houston TX Johnson Space Center
- Meister, David 1976 Behavioral Foundations of System Development New York NY Wiley-Interscience
- Miller, D. P. 1994 “Top Ten List of User-Hostile Interface Design: The ten most frequent mistakes made in human-computer interface design,” Sandia 41st Annual American Vacuum Society Symposium , Albuquerque NM Sandia National Labs
- 1979 January Human Engineering Requirements for Military Systems, Equipment, and Facilities .
- 1989 March 14 Human Engineering Design Criteria for Military Systems, Equipment, and Facilities
- Orasanu, J. M. Fischer, U. 1991 “Information Transfer and Shared Mental Models of Decision Making,” Jensen R. S. Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Aviation Psychology Columbus OH The Ohio State University
- Orasanu, J. M. 1990 Shared Mental Models and Crew Decision Making CSL Tech. Rep. No. 46 Princeton NJ Princeton University Cognitive Sciences Laboratory
- Orasanu, J. M. 1995 “Situation Awareness: Its Role in Flight Crew Decision Making,” 8th International Symposium on Aviation Psychology , Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio
- Palmer, E. Degani, A. 1991 April-May Electronic Checklists: Evaluation of Two Levels of Automation Sixth International Symposium on Aviation Psychology Columbus, OH
- Palmer, M. T. Rogers, W. H. Press, H. N. Latorella, K. A. Abbott, T. S. 1995 A Crew-Centered Flight Deck Design Philosophy for High-Speed Civil Transport (HSCT) Aircraft , Hampton VA Langley Research Center
- Ramsey Sleeper 1994 Architectural Graphic Standards New York John Wiley & Son
- Rosekind, M. R. Gander, P. H. Miller, D. L. Gregory, K. B. Smith, R. M. Weldon, K. J. Co, E. L. McNally, K. L. Lebacqz, J. V. 1994 “Fatigue in Operational Settings: Examples from the Aviation Environment,” Human Factors 36 2 327 338
- Rouse, W. B. 1991 Design for Success: A Human-Centered Approach for Designing Successful Products and Systems New York John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Segal, L. D. 1993 Activity Catalog Tool (A.C.T.) v2.0 User Manual Moffett Field, CA NASA Ames Research Center
- Simon, Herbert 1973 The Science of the Artificial Cambridge MA MIT Press
- Space and Life Sciences Directorate, Medical Sciences Division December 1993 Report of NASA Circadian Workshop Consultants Meeting Houston, TX NASA-Johnson Space Center
- Vidulich, M. A. 1989 “The Use of Judgment Matrices in Subjective Workload Assessment: The Subjective Workload Dominance (SWORD) Technique,” Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 33rd Annual Meeting 1406 1410 Santa Monica CA Human Factors Society
- Woodson, W. Tillman, B. Tillman P. 1992 Human Factors Design Handbook New York NY McGraw Hill