This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Look at Optimum Propeller Performance - Going from the Prandtl F Factor to a Vortex-Induced Downwash Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several methods for the calculation of propeller performance are presented here for the purpose of a better understanding of what is needed to determine both design parameters and efficiency. This paper is limited to cases where the flow is subsonic so that compressibility is not a significant problem. A strip calculation method, such as given by Glauert or by Adkins and Liebeck is quite useful when done with certain precautions. The method of Theodorsen provides a means of both configuring an optimum blade shape and providing a standard for best efficiency expectations.
CitationBauer, A., "A New Look at Optimum Propeller Performance - Going from the Prandtl F Factor to a Vortex-Induced Downwash Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 975560, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/975560.
- Prandtl, L., “Gottinger Nachrichten”, p. 193, 1919
- Betz, A., “Gottinger Nachrichten”, p. 193, 1919
- Goldstein, Sydney, “On the Vortex Theory of Screw Propellers”, reprinted from Proc. Roy. Soc. (London), A, 23.
- Theodorsen, Theodore, “Theory of Propellers”, McGraw Hill, 1948.
- Glauert, H., “Airplane Propellers”, Division L of “Aerodynamic Theory” by Durand, W. F., Vol. 4, 1934, pp164-360, see especially pp 251-269.
- Adkins, C. N., and Liebeck, R. H., “Design of Optimum Propellers”, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 10, Sept.-Oct. 1994, pp 676-682. Also see AIAA Paper 83-0190, Jan., 1983.
- Norris, J. R., and Bauer, A. B., “Zero-Thrust Glide Testing for Drag and Propulsive Efficiency of Propeller Aircraft”, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 30, No. 4, July-Aug. 1993.
- Miller, C. J., “Optimally Designed Propellers Constrained by Noise”, Ph. D. thesis, Perdue University. December 1984.
- Borst, Henry V. and Associates, “Aerodynamic Design and Analysis of Propellers for Mini-Remotely Piloted Air Vehicles”, USAAMDRL-TR-77-45A, August 1977.
- McDowell, E, “A Modern View of Theodore Theodorsen”, AIAA, 1992.