This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biomechanical Basis for the CRABI and Hybrid III Child Dummies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 12, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A family of adult and child size dummies was developed under the direction of two task groups of the SAE Mechanical Human Simulation Subcommittee of the Human Biomechanics and Simulation Standards Committee. These new child size dummies represent fiftieth percentile children who are 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, 3 years, and 6 years old. The sizes and total body weights of the dummies were based on detailed anthropometry studies of children of these ages. The techniques used to establish the segment masses and the resulting design goals are detailed. Appropriate impact response requirements were scaled from the biofidelity response requirements of the Hybrid III, taking into account the differences in size, mass and elastic modulus of bone between adults and children. The techniques used to establish the biomechanical impact response requirements for the child dummies are discussed and the resulting biomechanical impact response requirements are given.
CitationIrwin, A. and Mertz, H., "Biomechanical Basis for the CRABI and Hybrid III Child Dummies," SAE Technical Paper 973317, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/973317.
- Weber, K., Lehman, R.J., and Schneider, L.W., “Child Anthropometry for Restraint System Design”, UMTRI-85-23, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1985.
- Schneider, L. W., Lehman, R.J., Pflug, M.A., and Owings, C.L., “Size and Shape of the Head and Neck from Birth to Four Years”, UMTRI-86-2, Ann Arbor, MI, 1986.
- Snyder, R.G., Schneider, L.W., Owings, C.L., Reynolds, H.M., Golumb, D.H., and Schork, M.A., “Anthropometry of Infants, Children and Youths to Age 18 for Product Safety Design”, SP-450, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 1977.
- Reynolds, H.M., Young, J.W., McConville, J.T., and Snyder, R.G., “Development and Evaluation of Masterbody Forms for Three-Year Old and Six-Year Old Child Dummies”, DOT HS-801 811, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1976.
- Wolanin, M.J., Mertz, H.J., Nyznyk, R.S., and Vincent, J.H., “Description and Basis of a Three-Year-Old Child Dummy for Evaluation Passenger Inflatable Restraint Concepts”, SAE 826040, Proceedings of the International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, Kyoto, Japan, 1982, (reprinted: SAE SP-736, 1988).
- “Anthropomorphic Test Dummy”, Final Report, Volume I, NHTSA Contract No. DOT-HS-299-3-569, December 1973.
- “Anthropometry of Motor Vehicle Occupants”, Final Report, Volume 1, NHTSA Contract No. DOT-HS-806715, April 1985.
- Hubbard, R.P. and McLeod, D.G., “Definition and Development of a Crash Dummy Head”, Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 741193, 1974.
- McPherson, G.K. and Kriewall, T.J., “The Elastic Modulus of Fetal Cranial Bone: A First Step Towards an Understanding of the Biomechanics of Fetal Head Modeling”, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 13, pp. 9-16, 1981.
- Hubbard, R.P., “Flexure of Layered Cranial Bone”, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 4, pp. 251-263, 1971.
- Mertz, H.J., Irwin, A.L., Melvin, J.W., Stalnaker, R.L., and Beebe, M.S., “Size, Weight and Biomechanical Impact Response Requirements for Adult Size Small Female and Large Male Dummies”, SAE 890756, Automotive Frontal Impacts, SP-782, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, pp. 133-144, 1989.
- Mertz, H.J., “A Procedure for Normalizing Impact Response Data”, SAE 840884, 1984.
- Foster, J.K., Kortge, J.O., and Wolanin, M.J., “Hybrid III - A Biomechanically Based Crash Test Dummy”, SAE 770938, Proceedings of the Twenty-First Stapp Car Crash Conference, P-73, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, pp. 973-1014, 1977.
- Hybrid III: The First Humanlike Crast Test Dummy, SAE PT-44, ed Backaitis and Mertz, 1994.
- Hodgson, V.R. and Thomas, L. M., “Comparison of Head Acceleration Injury Indices in Cadaver Skull Fracture”, Proceedings of the Fifteenth Siapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 710854, 1971.
- Mertz, H.J., “Biofidelity of the Hybrid III Head”, SAE 851245, 1985 (reprinted in SAE PT-44, Hybrid III: The First Human-Like Crash Test Dummy, 1994).
- Melvin, J.W., “Injury Assessment Reference Values for the CRAB1 6-Month Infant Dummy in a Rear-Facing Infant Restraint with Airbag Deployment”, SAE 950872, 1995.
- Haut, R.C., Viano, D.C., and Vostal, J.J., “Evaluation of the In Vivo Response to Traumatic Posterior Tibia Drawer”, Transactions of the 26th Annual Meeting of the Orthopedic Research Society, Atlanta, Georgia, 1980.
- Viano, D.C., Culver, C.C., and Haut, R.C., “Bolster Impacts to the Knee and Tibia of Human Cadavers and an Anthropomorphic Dummy”, SAE 780896, 22nd Stapp Car Crash Conference, October, 1978.
- Hodgson, V.R., Gurdjian, E. S., and Thomas, L.M., “The Development of a Model for the Study of Head Injury”, SAE 670923, 11th Stapp Car Crash Conference, October, 1967.