This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Steady State Roll Threshold for Loaded Flat Bed Trailers - Theory and Calculation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 17, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The flexibility of flat bed trailers is shown to be an important consideration in determining the static roll threshold for a loaded Class 8 tractor trailer. The development of an easy to use static roll threshold model using Microsoft® Excel's nonlinear equation solution capability provides a tool that should be useful to the trailer designer, dock loading manager and the traffic safety manager responsible for the training of drivers. It can be seen for low stiffness flat bed trailers that the trailer torsional stiffness is a more important parameter than typical suspension or tire stiffness. Further, even for “stiff” flat bed trailers the use of the rigid body roll criteria (T/2h) or the 2-D “planar” model can produce significant error in many practical loading configurations.
|Technical Paper||Minimizing Driver Demands and Data Acquisition Errors in Trailer Testing|
|Technical Paper||Roll-Stability Performance of Heavy-Vehicle Suspensions|
|Technical Paper||Inertia Measurements of Large Military Vehicles|
CitationRuhl, R. and Ruhl, R., "Prediction of Steady State Roll Threshold for Loaded Flat Bed Trailers - Theory and Calculation," SAE Technical Paper 973261, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/973261.
SAE 1997 Transactions - Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V106-2 ; Published: 1998-09-15
Number: V106-2 ; Published: 1998-09-15
- Correa-Harker, Santiago, “Static Analysis of Flat-Bed Trailer Rollover,” Master of Science Thesis in General Engineering, Graduate College, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 1995.
- Winkler, C.B., “A Primer on the Mechanics of Commercial Vehicle Rollover,” SAE Safety TOPTEC, Atlanta, Georgia, April 29-30, 1993.
- Ervin, Robert D., “The Influence of Size and Weight Variables on the Roll Stability of Heavy Duty Trucks,” SAE Technical Paper 831163, August 1983.
- Winkler, C.B., Karamihas S.M., and Bogard S.E., “Roll-Stability Performance of Heavy-Vehicle Suspensions,” SAE Technical Paper 922426, 1992
- Fancher, P. S., Mathew, A., Vehicle Dynamics Handbook for Single-Unit and Articulated Heavy Trucks, University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, Ann Arbor, MI, PB88-134044, May 1987.
- Fancher, et al, Factbook of the Mechanical Properties of the Components for Single-Unit and Articulated Heavy Trucks, Michigan University, Ann Arbor, MI, PB87-228433, December 1986.
- George, R.M., “Behavior of Articulated Vehicles on Curves,” Heavy Vehicles and Roads: Technology, Safety and Policy, 1992.
- Brannan, Jack, P.E., Instruction Class Notes, Wilson Trailer Co., 1995
- Woodrooffe, J.H., and El-Gindy M., “Application of Handling and Roll Stability Performance Measures for Determining a Suitable Tractor Wheelbase,” Vehicle Dynamics Laboratory, National Research Council, Ottawa, Canada.
- Winkler, et al, The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, “Development of Test Procedures for Minimum Safety Performance Standards,” Ann Arbor, MI, August 1990.
- “Inadvertent Rollover on Test Track Emphasizes Low-Stability Safety Factor,” Trailer/Body Builders, January 1992.
- El-Gindy, M. and Hosamel-deen Y.H., “Sensitivity Parametric Analysis of UMTRI Static Roll Model,” Int. J. Of Vehicle Design, Vol. 10, No. 2, 1989.
- Sankar, S., and Surial S., “A Sensitivity Analysis Approach For Fast Estimation Of Rollover Stability Of Heavy Articulated Vehicles During Steady State Turning,” Concave Research Centre, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada, 1994.
- Solomon, Arthur R., “Microsoft® Excel as an Engineering Optimization Tool,” SAE Technical Paper 942332, November 1994.
- Miki, Shinsuke, “Method of Evaluating Stability and Handling of a Truck Considering Body Torsional Rigidity,” SAE Technical Paper 881870, November 1988.
- Hasegawa, Shun'ichi, Kusahara Yuhji, and Watanabe Yoshito, “Influence of Vehicle Body Torsional Stiffness on Vehicle Roll Characteristics of Medium-Duty Trucks,” SAE Technical Paper 902267, 1990.
- Dill, P.A., The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, “Static Roll Model User's Manual,” Ann Arbor, MI, December 1985.
- Mallikarjunarao, C., “Road Tanker Design: Its Influence On The Risk And Economic Aspects Of Transporting Gasoline In Michigan,” Ph.D. Thesis, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1992.
- Ervin, Robert D., “Influence of Weights and Dimensions on Stability and Control on Heavy Trucks in Canada,” University of Michigan Transportation Institute, Ann Arbor, MI, UMTRI-86-35, 1986.