This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer Simulation Studies of an Alcohol Fueled Low Heat Rejection Direct Injection Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development of a computer simulation model for a single cylinder direct injection diesel engine for neat diesel operation, ethanol-diesel dual fuel operation in fumigation and dual injection mode, operating on conventional or low heat rejection version. The model which illustrates the simulation of the overall cycle consisting of compression, combustion, expansion, exhaust and intake processes also predicts the nitric oxide and soot emissions. In addition it also predicts the brake power, brake thermal efficiency, brake specific fuel consumption, maximum gas pressure and maximum gas temperature. The above model was validated using available experimental results. Subsequently the computer program was run for different operating conditions encompassing broad changes in several engine operating parameters. Comprehensive studies showed that a diesel engine fueled with ethanol under fumigation and dual injection modes resulted in an increase in power, improvement in brake specific energy consumption, reduction in nitric oxide emission and soot concentration. Further enhanced performance and emission characteristics have been observed for a dual injection operation as compared to the fumigation mode. In the low heat rejection mode, improved power output, slightly higher nitric oxide emission and lower level of soot formation was observed as compared to the conventional mode.
CitationIslam, R., Subrahmanyam, J., and Babu, M., "Computer Simulation Studies of an Alcohol Fueled Low Heat Rejection Direct Injection Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 972976, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972976.
- Kamo, R. Bryzik, W. “Cummins/TACOM Advanced Adiabatic Engine” SAE Paper No. 840428 1984
- Gao, X. Chen, J. Ye, Z. Foster, D. Borman, G. “Ignition Delay and Heat Release Analysis of an Ethanol Fumigated Turbocharged Diesel Engine” ASME Paper 83-DGP-1 1983
- Singhai, K.C. “Studies on Ethanol Carburettion in Compression Ignition Engines - Performance, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics” Indian Institute of Technology Delhi July 1985
- Pischinger, F. Havenith, C. “A New Way of Direct Injection of Methanol in Diesel Engine” 3rd International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Technology Asilomar, California May 28-31 1979
- Muthu, S. Jagadeesan, T. R. “Analytical and Experimental Investigations of Ethanol-Diesel Fuel Combustion System” 6th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Technology Ottawa, Canada May 21 25 1984
- Miyairi, Y. “Computer Simulation of a LHR DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 880187 1988
- Dhinagar, J. S. Nagalingam, B. Gopalakrishnan, K.V. “Use of Alcohol as the Sole Fuel in an Adiabatic Diesel Engine” Proc. of the XI National Conference on IC Engines and Combustions HT, Madras, India Dec 11 15 1989
- Islam, M. R. “Studies on the simulation of an alcohol fueled low heat rejection direct injection diesel engine” Indian Institute of Technology Delhi August 1992
- Hohenberg, G. F. “Advanced Approach for Heat Transfer Calculations” SAE Paper No. 790825 1979
- Babu, M. K. G. Murthy, B. S. “Simulation and Evaluation of a Four-Stroke Single Cylinder Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper No. 750687 1975
- Hiroyasu, H. Kadota, T. “Fuel Droplet Size Distribution in Diesel Combustion Chamber” SAE Paper No. 740715 1974
- Simmons, H. C. “The Correlation of Drop-size Distribution in Fuel Nozzle Sprays - Part II: The Drop-size/Number Distribution” J.Engg.Power, ASME 315 319 1977
- Dent, J. C. Mehta, P. S. “Phenomenological Combustion Model for a Quiscent Chamber Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 811235
- Hiroyasu, R Kadota, T. “Development and Use of a Spray Combustion Model to Predict Diesel Engine Efficiency and Pollutants Emissions (Part I, Combustion Modeling)” Bulletine of JSME 26 214 April 1983
- Ricou, F. P. Spalding, D. B. “Measurement of Entrainment by Axi-Symmetrical Turbulent Jets” J. Fluid Mechanics 11 1961
- Gupta, A. K. Mehta P. S. Gupta, C. P. “Model for Predicting Air Fuel Mixing and Combustion for Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 860331 1986
- Xia, Y. Q. Flanagan, R. C. “Ignition Delay - A General Engine/Fuel Model” SAE Paper No. 870591 1987
- Shapiro, A. H. “The Dynamics and Thermodynamics of Compressible Fluid Flow” Ronald Press Company 1953
- Benson, R. S. Anand, W. J. D. Baruah, P. C. “A Simulation Model Including Intake and Exhaust System for a Four-Stroke Cycle Spark Ignition Engine” Intl. J. Mech. Sci. 77 1975.
- Lakshminarayanan, P. A. Janakiraman, P. A. Babu, M. K. G. Murthy, B. S. “A Finite Difference Scheme for Unsteady Pipe Flows” Intl. J. Mech. Sci. 21 1979
- Reddi, K. S. “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation on Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Methanol Fueled Spark Ignition Engine” Indian institute of Technology Delhi 1982