This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PAH-Transport in Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine experiments were carried out on a six cylinder DI-diesel engine using synthetic fuel and lubricant containing no PAH (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons) . By selectively doping the fuel and oil with pyrene, the effect of fuel and oil originating PAH on the exhaust emissions could be investigated. The experimental results are analyzed in a new way by suggesting a general transport model for PAH. By estimating as many transport quantities as possible it is attempted to gain knowledge about the most dominant mechanisms. The main finding is not surprisingly that for commercial fuels containing substantial concentrations of PAH, the by far major contributor to exhaust PAH is unburned fuel PAH. The concentration of PAH in the oil sump affects only weakly the PAH concentration in the exhaust for engines operating on commercial fuels. The PAH desorbing from the liner are getting burned efficiently, thereby being insignificant. Finally, the oil consumption transports PAH directly and mostly unburned to the exhaust, however for engines operating on commercial fuels this mechanism is insignificant. The results therefore suggests, that lower PAH emissions can be obtained by lowering the PAH content in the fuel and by improving the combustion efficiency.
|Technical Paper||(Particle) Emissions of Small 2-& 4-Stroke Scooters with (Hydrous) Ethanol Blends|
|Technical Paper||Swirl Supported or Quiescent Combustion for 1990's Heavy-Duty DI Diesel Engines - An Analysis|
CitationFrølund, K. and Schramm, J., "PAH-Transport in Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 972960, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972960.
SAE 1997 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V106-4; Published: 1998-09-15
Number: V106-4; Published: 1998-09-15
- Schramm, J. Hori, S. Abe, T. “The Emission of PAH from a DI Diesel Engine Operating on Fuels and Lubricants with Known PAH Content” SAE Paper 940342
- Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. Russ, S. G. “Effect of Fuel Dissolved in Crankcase Oil on Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Spark-Ignited Engine” SAE Paper 972891
- Williams, P. T. Andrews, G. E. Bartle, K. D. “The Role of Lubricating Oil in Diesel Particulate and Particulate PAH Emissions” SAE Paper 872084
- Abbass, M. K. Andrews, G. E. Williams, P. T. Bartle, K. D. “The Influence of Diesel Fuel Composition on Particulate PAH Emissions” SAE Paper 892079
- Saville, S. B. Gainey, F. D. Cupples, S. D. Fox, M. F. Pickne, D. J. “A Study of Lubricant Condition in the Piston Ring Zone of Single-Cylinder Diesel Engines Under Typical Operating Conditions” SAE Paper 881586
- Burnett, P. J. Bull, B. Wetton, R. J. “Characterisation of the Ring Pack Lubricant and its Environment” Shell Research 1991 Thornton Reseach Centre
- Nattrass, S. R. Thompson, D. M. McCann, H. “First In-Situ Measurement of Lubricant Degradation in the Ring-Pack of a Running Engine” SAE Paper 942026
- Froelund, K. Schramm, J. Noordzij, B. Tian, T. Wong, W. “An Investigation of the Cylinder Wall Oil Film Development During Warm-Up of an SI-Engine Using Laser Induced Fluorescence” SAE Paper 971699
- Norris, M. G. Hochgreb, S. “Novel Experiment on In-Cylinder Desorption of Fuel from the Oil Layer” SAE Paper 941963
- Peralta, N.
- Schwarze, H. “Die Auslegung von Ölversorgungssystemen in Verbrennungsmotoren” Tribologie + Schmierungstechnik 5 1993
- Linna, J. R. Malberg, H. Bennett, P. J. Palmer, P. J. Tian, T. Cheng, W. K. “Contribution of Oil Layer Mechanism to the Hydrocarbon Emissions from Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 972892
- Russ, S. Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. “Effect of Cylinder Head and Engine Block Temperature on HC Emissions from a Single Cylinder Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 952536
- Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. Russ, S. G. “Fuel Composition Effect on Hydrocarbon Emissions From a Spark-Ignited Engine - Is Fuel Absorption in Oil Significant?” SAE Paper 952542
- Froelund, K. Schramm, J. “Simulation of HC-Emissions from SI Engines - A Parametric Study” SAE paper 972893
- Tian, T. Noordzij, B. Wong, V. W. Heywood, J. B. “Modeling Piston Ring Dynamics, Blowby, and Ring-Twist Effects” ASME ICE Fall Technical Conference October 1996
- Williams, P. T. Abbass, M. K. Andrews, G. E. Bartle, K. D. “The Influence of PAH Contamination of Lubricating Oil on Diesel Particulate PAH Emissions” SAE Paper 890825
- Frottier, V. Heywood, J. B. Hochgreb, S. “Measurement of Gasoline Absorption into Engine Lubricating Oil” SAE Paper 961229
- Nakashima, K. Ishihara, S. Urano, K. “Influence of Piston Ring Gaps on Lubricating Oil Flow into the Combustion Chamber” SAE Paper 952546