This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Combustion Chamber Deposits, Compression Ratio and Combustion Chamber Design on Power and Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experimental results from three different single cylinder engines using the same fuel at different operating conditions and at different stages of build-up of combustion chamber deposits (CCD) are reported. Two of these engines have the same pent-roof, four-valve head but different compression ratios while the other has two valves and a much slower burn-rate. Increasing the compression ratio increases HC and NOx emissions correlate very well with peak engine pressure. The effects of CCD on combustion rate, power and emissions depend greatly on engine design and also on operating conditions.
|Technical Paper||Combustion Chamber Deposit Flaking|
|Technical Paper||Combustion Improvement of a Light Stratified-Charge Direct Injection Engine|
CitationKalghatgi, G., "Effects of Combustion Chamber Deposits, Compression Ratio and Combustion Chamber Design on Power and Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 972886, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972886.
- Kalghatgi, G.T. “Deposits in Gasoline Engines - A Literature Review” SAE Paper No. 902105 (Also in SAE Transactions) 1990
- Kalghatgi, G.T. “Combustion chamber deposits in spark-ignition engines- A literature review” SAE Paper No. 952443 , (Also in SP- 1118 and SAE Transactions) 1995
- Bitting, W.H. Firmstone, G.P. Keller, C.T. “Effects of combustion chamber deposits on tailpipe emissions” SAE Paper No. 940345 1994
- Harpster, M.O. Matas, S.E. Fry, J.H. Litzinger, T.A. “An experimental study of fuel composition and combustion chamber deposit effects on emissions from a spark ignition engine” SAE Paper No. 950740 , Also in SAE SP-1095 1995
- Bower, S.L. Litzinger, T.A. Frottier, V. “The effects of fuel composition and engine deposits on emissions from a spark ignition engine” SAE Paper No. 932707 1993
- Bitting, W.H. Firmstone, G.P. Keller, C.T. “A fleet test of two additive technologies comparing their effects on tailpipe emissions” SAE Paper No. 950745 , Also in SAE SP-1095 1995
- Woodyard, M.E. “Gasoline additive and deposit effects on the road and a Ford 2.3L engine test” SAE Paper No. 952446 , Also in SP-1118 1995
- Barnes, J.R. Stephenson, T. “Influence of combustion chamber deposits on vehicle performance and tail-pipe emissions” SAE Paper No. 962027 , Also in SP-1214 1996
- Kalghatgi, G.T. Snowdon, P. McDonald, C.R. “Studies of knock in a spark ignition engine with “CARS” temperature measurements and using different fuels” SAE Paper No. 950690 (Also in SAE Transactions) 1995
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal combustion engine fundamentals” McGraw Hill Book Co. 1988
- Cheng, W.K. Hamrin, D. Heywood, J.B. Hochgreb, S. Min, K. Norris, M. “An overview of hydrocarbon emissions mechanisms in spark-ignition engines” SAE Paper No. 932708 1993
- Russ, S.G. Kaiser, E.W. Siegl, W.O. Podsiadlik, D.H. Barrett, K.M. “Compression ratio and coolant temperature effects on HC emissions from a spark-ignition engine” SAE Paper No. 950163 1995
- Heywood, J.B. “Combustion chamber design for optimum spark-ignition performance” Int.J.of Vehicle Design 5 3 1984